Chapter 9

Warning- This chapter contains reference to homophobia. If that type of thing upsets you, I truly apologize. And FYI, I'm a complete LBGT+ supporter :) but this is just a part of the story. Remember that these are not real people.

"Please don't leave me alone with her," I whisper in a pleading tone to Jaxon and Sarah. "Please."

Kaden announced he was stopping to go to the bathroom, and these two piped up as well. Jaxon gives me a sympathetic look, and manages an encouraging smile, which he is good at. He whispers back, "It'll be okay. Tell us if anything happens. Plus, we have to go. Sorry, babe."

My heart drops at the word babe. He really is sorry, and that means he and Sarah are actually leaving me alone with Beth.

I look down at my shoes in defeat. My attitude completely changed, from dying of laughter to terrified for my life. She has to be planning something. I just know it.

Jaxon's hand squeezes mine, leaving my heart laced with dread, knowing he'll leave. And I'll be vulnerable to any verbal attacks just waiting to be unleashed by Beth.

"Alright," Kaden sighs as he takes the keys out, glancing through the rear view mirror. Once again, I avoid his caramel brown eyes. "Ready?"

He releases his fingers slowly. My stomach aches for his reassuring presence, but I clamp my mouth shut, staring at the back of Beth's head.

Jaxon says, "Yeah." And all three of them get out.

Sarah didn't say anything to me. I know she feels terrible, not wanting to leave me. She would've skipped the bathroom break if she hadn't gone in six hours.

The tension immediately dawns on me. Silently, Beth sits still. My breathing quickens once she leans forward, and I realize she's digging into her backpack. She pulls out a smaller pouch- which I assume is a makeup bag. Gracefully, she pulls down the mirror-thingy in front of her with freshly painted nails that she did during the drive. I was annoyed with all her complaining about Kaden's "sucky driving" as she tried to perfect the painting, and the strong smell of nail polish.

Beth remains silent as she reapplies her lipstick the shade of roses, her cheekbones looking even better as she puckers her lips in the mirror. My heart lurches when her icy blue eyes find mine. "So, some real talk."

I swallow hard, not daring to move or speak, paralyzed under her cold gaze. She observes me through the mirror like I'm a friendship bracelet made by kindergarteners, and she's the diamond bracelet placed delicately on the wrist of a wealthy woman.

"It's obvious you like him, at least to me. He's not very observant, is he?" Her maroon painted lips curl up into a plastic smile, not to be mistaken for a kind one. "But I am. And can I tell you something? Girl to girl?"

She must take my silence as a message to go on, or she just doesn't care. "Stay away from my boyfriend, you slut. Or, I'll ruin Sarah's life. I know about her girlfriend."

The word girlfriend is dripping with venom and distaste. I'm not bothered by the fact my best friend didn't tell me that she was gay, because it doesn't anger me that she wasn't ready to come out of the closet. I'm bothered that Beth knows, out of all people.

"You fucking bitch." My hands start shaking with anger, my heart stammering at the fact that my friend's coming out could be ruined. I'd never forgive myself if I ruined her life, and took away her moment. "She has nothing to do with it."