Chapter 20

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas," Kaden sang softly while he hung a cherry colored ornament on the tree. "Let your heart be light. From now on your troubles will be out of sight."

Kaden's mom pulled off her oven mitts, a fresh hot pan of cookies laid out on the counter before her, before she shot me a wink and walked out of the room.

I've gotten used to her ways, so I just brushed it off as I casted a look outside, where snow met the grass. "Have yourself a merry little Christmas," I continued. "Make the Yuletide gay. From now on, your troubles will be miles away."

Warm arms embraced me from behind. I felt Kaden's head on my right shoulder, humming to the song we were singing, starting to sway us both to the song. "Here we are as in olden days, happy golden days of yore, faithful friends who are dear to us, t'gather near to us once more."

He slowly released me, but not before planting a soothing kiss with his soft lips, his warmth now a remnant deep in my chest. I couldn't fight the smile as I returned to putting up decorations.

We both turned around at the same time, finding ourselves done with the decorations and standing under the doorway to the kitchen. I eyed the fresh cookies that were probably cool enough to eat now. Turning to Kaden, I found that he wasn't staring at the cookies, but above us.

Instinctively I looked up to find a mistletoe taped to the ceiling of the doorway. That wasn't there before...

Kaden gently pulled down on my jaw and I didn't have time to think before he pressed his lips to mine. He tasted like the hot chocolate he just had before and, of course, peppermint.

I pulled away from him, playfully shoving him away. "Agh, get outta here you big oaf."

"Correction," He said. "Your big oaf."

The word "your" and the context of the sentence, and the fact that he was the one saying it, made my heart fall. How long have I wanted this? And before-

Never mind.

I let a small smile cover up my thoughts like some sort of mask, while I turned around and shoved like three cookies in my mouth. My mind wandered and wandered, encouraging me to stress eat more as I pondered.

Was I ready for this? Really, really ready to be with him? We've been best friends forever and we haven't talked about the kiss we had last night... we just, kinda kept doing it.

Were we okay? Or was I just someone for him to bounce back to? I mean, he's been with Beth for a while and he said he loved her, but he was able to go and kiss someone else right after they broke up?

I kinda wanted to talk to him about things, but I wondered if it was the right time. Or if there would ever be a "right time."

"I'm gonna shovel the driveway real quick, ok Luce?"

His voice almost made me jump. I just nodded and mumbled a sound of understanding as my mouth was filled with warm cookies. Then, after a few seconds, he leaned over and kissed my cheek from behind because I purposely hid my face by turning away.

The feeling of his lips on my skin would never get old... but I questioned if we should even continue, if it was healthy for him to jump into another relationship with his best friend that he never considered dating. Or did he? See, that was the thing, I didn't know.

After I heard Kaden pull on his snow boots and the front door open and then close, I realized that I'd have to figure out how to start that talk with him.