Chapter 11

Under the shade of the umbrella, I watch Sarah try to skim board on the beach. She wobbles on the barely moving board, laughing and grinning, the soft waves touching her ankles.

"It's not your fault, you know." Jaxon says gently from beside me.

I can feel him looking at me, expecting me to say something, but I don't. He refused to leave me alone just because I can't go in the sun very much, and now he's trying to comfort me about Sarah. Instead of answering, I close my eyes tightly, wiggling my toes in the sand before me.

"C'mon Luce," He nudges me slightly. "Cheer up. You're on a beach, the sun is shining, you didn't get pooped on by a bird... it's a good day."

Opening my eyes, I turn to look at him. I've grown used to him being shirtless now, so it's a bit easier to gaze into his amber eyes instead of his body. "Yeah, you're right. So scram, and go swimming. Teach Sarah how to skim board."

"Fine. But only because she really is struggling." He laughs lightly, looking off at the ocean.

Sarah pushes the board off into the golden sand before going after it, attempting to jump onto it, only to slip right off the slippery surface. She lands on her ass with a scowl on her face, then turns to us like we can help.

Jaxon stands up, calling her out on her terrible skim boarding skills. Sarah retorts with, "Okay, Mr I-Can-Do-Everything! You try."

Just as I'm getting ready to watch the terrible scene unfold, someone approaches behind me. "Luce," Kaden says. I turn to look at him hesitantly, to find him awkwardly scratching his neck. "Can we talk?"

"Uh- I-I can't. Sorry." I manage, feeling guilty yet angry. It's his girlfriend that's a monster. Why should I feel bad for ignoring him?

He sighs in frustration, running a hand through his bright blonde hair. "Please? You're my best friend and it kills me that you're ignoring me. Did I do something wrong?"

Yes, you did everything wrong. You're my best friend too, so why can't you see?? And because of you and your stupid girlfriend, I could ruin my friend's life! I want to scream at him and I am internally.

"We can't talk." I hiss through gritted teeth. Wherever there's Kaden, there's Beth. And no way should I risk it. "Just leave before you make things worse."

He curses, copying my anger as usual. Then he grabs my elbow firmly but not too firmly, and yanks me onto my feet. I stare into his eyes in shock, scared of what he might say because of the determination his caramel eyes hold. After a while of not talking to him or even looking, I melt under his eyes so I curse myself for that. "What the hell, Luce? Is there something wrong? Why don't you tell me?" He pleads.

"I can't tell you. I wish I could." I say to him. And in a low voice, I add, "Or something will happen to me. So please, leave me alone."

That wasn't entirely true. Something will happen to Sarah, but of course that will affect me too because she's my friend.

He scrunches his eyebrows, leaning closer. My heart thuds in fear that Beth is somewhere, watching. "What? Luce, you know I can protect you. Who wants you to stay away from me?"

"You can't protect me from this." My voice clearly shakes in nervousness, making me curse myself once again.

Kaden frowns, which feels like the saddest thing in the world. "What do you mean? Seriously, why are you so-"

"You're so damn stupid, you know that?" I push him away from me forcefully, chest heaving in anger. Then I turn around to start packing up. I can't stand it.