20) Gone

Mike's POV

El didn't come back to school for a week. She never said anything about missing school, so it didn't really make sense. She wasn't answering her phone. Maybe she was sick?

I had to find out. When we got to school Friday and she still wasn't there, I decided to use my lunch period to go out to her cabin.

I told the guys and Max I was in study hall. They wouldn't understand. They never do. I pulled up to the road it was on and parked my bike by a tree.

I ran to the front door. Curtains drawn, door locked, lights off. I have a feeling that was another one of Hops safety measures.

I knocked on the door in Morse code. M, two dashes. I, two dots. K, dash, dot, dash. E, one dot. I waited. No answer.

I tried again. Nothing. I took out my phone and called her again. It went to voicemail automatically. Something wasn't right. I need to find Hopper.

When I pulled up at the station it was 12:03. Lunch was over. I was gonna be late. This was worth it. I walked through the front door.

"Flo? I need to speak with the Chief, please." She looked up from her desk and frowned.

"Oh sweetie, didn't you hear? He's gone." My heart sank. I felt heavy. I felt too many emotions, all coming at one time. I couldn't handle it.

I dropped my backpack and stumbled over to the trash can by the door. I wretched until there was nothing left.

"He's gone." She had said. That meant Eleven was gone too. She's gone. Gone.

I just got her back. It had taken us three hundred fifty three days to find each other, and Hopper was still keeping us apart.