26) Painful

Mike's POV

It's been almost two weeks. She left on a Monday. The day I asked her to be my girlfriend. I'd texted her all Friday night and some Saturday morning.

Hopper replied that Saturday. She called me Wednesday. It's now Friday. She's missed two weeks of school.

The bell rang and I put my books up in my locker. I got on my bike to ride home, but I decided there was somewhere else I should go.

I pulled up to the cabin. The door was closed, but it wasn't locked. I found what looked to be El's room.

Her bed was made neatly and there weren't any clothes on the floor. I was surprised that she kept her room clean.

I walked around the empty house. There wasn't much to say. A Morse code key hung above the radio. Eleven's supercom was on the kitchen table.

The TV was plugged up in the living room. There was a blindfold laying in front of it. I'm assuming that's how she saw...

I looked down at my wrists. I pulled up the long sleeves and grimaced. I really shouldn't have done it. I promised her I wouldn't.

I had to leave. It was too painful. Seeing all of her stuff, her bed, her room, her house. Her home. I was supposed to be her home. But she picked up and left.

I know it wasn't her choice, but wouldn't she at least be upset about it? She said she was excited. I still didn't fully understand. It was painful to think about.