38) Lucky Me

Marlee's POV

I tripped over something on the way to my first class, and Mike caught me. It was so embarrassing. Especially because I'd heard so much about him. He's apparently pretty popular. He has a ton of friends, and he's president of AV Club.

The principal gave me the same schedule as him, and said he would be my 'welcome buddy.' So far he's been really nice. It kind of surprised me. Most popular kids are jerks. Especially when they're popular and cute. Really cute.

I was talking to some of the girls at lunch, and they're all very envious of my situation. They talked about how they wished he would catch them from falling. I had no clue this kid was so well-liked. Lucky me?

Eleven's POV

I stayed home from school today. Last week was extremely awkward, and I don't want to go through that again. I told Hop I was feeling sick and he agreed to let me skip for a day.

I texted Nancy and she explained why Mike did it. I think I understand a bit better now. I don't know, it still seems crazy to do that to yourself. But I guess I know he couldn't help it. He wasn't thinking straight. So he didn't break the promise on purpose. I'm trying to forgive him.

He texted me around lunch time and asked where I was. Even when we're in the middle of a fight, he's checking up on me. I told him I wasn't feeling well, and that'd I'd most likely be back tomorrow. Which was true, I was going to school tomorrow. I've got to clear this up with him. He needs to know I forgive him. And I need to apologize.