41) Distracting

Eleven's POV

Dustin told me that Marlee was at Mike's house yesterday. She's this gorgeous redhead. It's like Max all over again. Except she's not dating someone in the party. Yet.

I was thinking about it, and maybe I shouldn't be jealous. She's new here. She needed help on the math or whatever. Dustin told me all about it. He called Mike late last night and forced him to explain why she was there.

Marlee seems really nice. I don't think she's trying to get between me and Mike. She doesn't even know about us. Nobody at school does. I'm just his cousin Eleanor.

Mike asked if he could come over today after school. It was Friday, so Hopper would be home late. I met him at the bike racks and we rode back to my cabin.

"Sorry it's so messy. I'm not home as much anymore," I said as I tried to pick up the living room.
"It's fine, El. Really, I don't mind it," he replied considerately. He always knows how to make me feel better. I sat down on the couch and he sat beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

We watched TV for about an hour. It was just past four o clock, and we had tons of homework.
"Shouldn't we study? I could use some help on that reading assignment," I suggested.
"Yeah sure," he replied as we got our books out.

We finished the reading homework and moved on to math. We were still on the couch and he kept leaning over and stealing kisses. I would giggle each time which made him blush.

"Mike, come on. We need to focus," I said as I laughed.
"I'm sorry. It's just really hard. Your beauty is very distracting," he replied and my cheeks burned. We finished all our work and turned our focus back to the TV.

I was stretched out along the couch and he was sitting upright. I put my head in his lap and looked up at his starry eyes.

"I really love you, Michael," I said quietly.
"I love you too, Eleven," he replied before leaning down to kiss my forehead lightly.

That's when the front door opened.