37) Stalker

Mike's POV

She had beautiful auburn hair, and I couldn't see her face. She turned around after regaining her balance, and I couldn't recall who it was.
"I'm so sorry! I tripped over something, I'm not even sure what it was..anyway, uh, thanks..."

She was clearly flustered. I'm guessing she didn't know who I was either.
"I'm Mike. And you're totally fine, I just saw you falling, and I was close, so. You alright?"

"Oh, um. Yeah. I think so. I am now." She laughed nervously.
"I'm Marlee. By the way." She looked down, slightly blushing.

"Nice to meet you. I'm in AV club."
"Yes. I know. You're the president. You're friends with Dustin, Will, Lucas and his girlfriend, right? And isn't that Eleanor chick your cousin or something? Oh gosh, now I sound like a stalker."

"Yeah..that's all correct. Are you new? I'm not very popular. I don't know how'd you know so much about me and I've never seen you before." I admit, it was a little creepy that she knew this much about me. Then again, it was a small town.

"Well sorta. I've lived here my whole life, but i was homeschooled up until this week." She smiled at me and we went into class. She sat down beside me.

"So is this your first day?" I asked as I took out my books.
"Yeah. I took a tour yesterday but today is my first time going to classes and stuff." She opened up her book and a paper fell out. I leaned down to pick it up for her and was surprised to see my name on it.

"Um, sorry, but I have to ask. Why is my name written at the top of your schedule?" She turned bright red and tucked the paper into her book.

"We have all the same classes. The principal said you were a good kid with tons of friends, that I should get to know you. You're my assigned 'welcome buddy.' Sorry," she said as she shrugged. I told her it was fine, and then class started.

"The principal told you about my friends, right?" I was slowly connecting all the dots.
"Yeah. Told you I'm not a stalker." She winked at me, and I immediately felt guilty. Even if El and I were in a fight, it wasn't okay that Marlee was flirting with me. She didn't know about us, so she had no reason not to. But it wasn't okay for me to like it.