32) Detention

Mike's POV

El was in reading and I was in math. We had science and social studies together for our next two periods. Lunch was after that and then I had reading and she had math.

The bell rang so I grabbed my books to walk out of class. Mrs. Wilson stopped me before I made it to door.

"Mr. Wheeler. You've got detention sir."
"What? I didn't do anything!" Seriously, what could I be in trouble for?

"There's tons of hearts all over the bathroom stalls. We have had multiple sources confirm that it was you. You have to pay the consequences for graffitiing the bathroom. The janitors have to stay late after hours to clean it up. You need to pay as well."

When she was done lecturing me, I asked what period I had detention for.
"2nd and 3rd." Of course. Science and social studies. My only classes with El.

Eleven's POV

When I got to science, Mike wasn't in there. I asked Dustin if he knew where he was and he shook his head. Will walked in almost late, and said that Mike was in detention.

"Someone snitched that he was the one writing in the bathroom walls. He's stuck for 2nd and 3rd period. At least he'll be at lunch."

He shrugged it off, but my heart sank. My one chance to see him. I had math with Max for 5th period. Mike wasn't in my math class. Will was right, at least I'd see him at lunch.

4th period couldn't come quick enough. The bell rang and I ran out of the room. I slammed my locker shut and ran to the cafeteria.

Dustin eventually caught up to me in the line and we waited together. Will, Max, and Lucas sat down because they brought a lunch from home.

Mike walked in a few minutes later, looking sad. He headed in my direction and when he saw my face, his lit up. He hugged me and we went through the line together.

Dustin couldn't mock us because we were around so many other kids. I had to be careful to remember I was Mike's cousin "Eleanor." We sat down at the table and ate with our friends.