Ch.28: Wishes

Lucifer drops down to his knees and peers over the edge into the water. Ace bites his bottom lip as he does the same, keeping a hand on the small of Lucifer's back to keep himself from falling in, his other hand flat against the cool stone below them.

The clear water is still, not a single disturbance or ripple in the water. Ace feels almost terrible for being so close to the water. He isn't sure why he suddenly feels like he shouldn't be here. Like he doesn't have permission. Then his neighbor's face's flash across his vision. He murdered an innocent family. Perhaps that is why he doesn't feel welcome by the water.

Lucifer points at the water. "Do you see those bronze coins?"

Ace has to look hard, his eyes trying to look straight passed them and into the scenery of Earth on the other side. Ace has a hard time focusing so he only sees the coins, but he manages it by blinking a few times and zeroing in on them.

"Yeah," Ace replies. "What are they down there for?"

"The demons throw them in after sealing a wish inside them,"

Ace blinks a few times before looking at Lucifer who was already looking at him.

"You mean, it's sort of like a wishing well then?"

"Exactly what it is," Lucifer smiles. "This water is holy water though, since it came from Heaven. So, the demons cannot touch it, so they know their wishes are safe. It also helps that no one will raid the coins and steal them,"

"Do the wishes come true?" Ace asks curiously.

"Once a month, I come here and pick a coin at random. If the wish is attainable, I grant it,"

"What do you mean by attainable?"

"The wish cannot be outrageous; I will not grant those. For example, if a demon wanted to live on Earth or Heaven, I would not grant it. If a demon wanted to rule over Hell, Earth, or Heaven, I would not grant it. But if a demon were to wish for health, I would grant that. If someone were to wish for better sales, I would grant it. As long as the wish is attainable, I will grant it. But I only grant one wish every month,"

Ace grins. "You continue to surprise me every day, Lucifer,"

Lucifer tilts his head to the side. "Why is that?"

Ace looks back down into the water and focuses on the bronze coins.

"I thought you would be different. Like, sort of evil. But you're not. You're actually really sweet. You have your moments, but you are kind. You care for the demons. Like that orphaned demon child, Akuji. You brought him into the castle, fed and clothed him, and now you're giving him a home. You pay outrageously when we go to the village even though they say you don't have to pay. You don't treat your staff wickedly either, you even help them on occasions,"

Lucifer frowns at Ace's words. "You thought I would be evil?"

Ace shrugs his shoulders as a slight blush tints his cheeks. "I don't know, you are the Devil himself after all. I just sort of figured you would be different," He snaps his head up to Lucifer then. "Not that it's a bad thing or anything. I like you just the way you are. You don't have to be cruel or change or anything like that," He says quickly.

Lucifer smiles. "I can be cruel, though," He says honestly. "You have never seen me with the damned, not that I want you to see that side of me of course. But I didn't used to be like this. When I first came to Hell, the demons were wild and out of control. There is a reason they respect me now,"

"Did you scare them into submission?" Ace asks with an eyebrow raised.

"Sort of," Lucifer chuckles nervously. "But, that was a long time ago, I am a different person now," He says as he shakes his head from the memories. "Anyway, I came to grant a wish today and thought you would like to see it,"