Ch.37: The Devil

Michael's hand falls onto Ace's chest lightly. A shiver runs throughout Ace's body at the cold touch. It is as if Michael has lived in an icebox his entire life. Ace struggles with the chains desperately, causing the chains to bite into his flesh even harder. He attempts to pull his legs up to try and knee Michael, but the chains are to tight.

Michael's hand trails down to Ace's hip, his thumb running over his fuck you tattoo, just as Lucifer once had. Ace shakes his head angrily and disgusted. He is angry that he got himself into this situation so easily and angry at himself for being so powerless. He is disgusted at himself for the same reasons and disgusted that Michael is touching and looking at him.

As Michael's hand wraps around Ace's flaccid member, a sudden spark resonates throughout Ace's body, sending Michael flying backward. Michael lets out an angry scream as he jumps to his feet and rushes to Ace again. His hand is raised in the air, allowing Ace to see the burn on his hand. Then, the hand wraps around Ace's throat, cutting off his air supply.

As Ace chokes for air and tugs horribly at the chains, a booming sound echoes throughout the hall. Michael's hand drops from his throat immediately. Ace chokes even more as air rushes into his lungs. He tries to see where Michael went but black smoke covers the entire hallway, making it impossible for Ace to see clearly.

Then, a loud terrifying roar deafens Ace temporarily, leaving a horrible ringing sound to follow. The black smoke curls up into the air and Ace gets the sudden scent of burning flesh, causing him to gag.

The smoke continues to curl into the air, allow Ace to realize the smoke is curling in on someone. Someone huge. Michael rolls on the marble flooring with black fire encasing his entire body. The angel shrieks in pain, causing Ace to flinch as his hearing returns.

Then, just as suddenly as it began, the black fire disappears from Michael's body, leaving him charred and barely gasping for air. That's when Ace realizes the curling smoke is actually encasing somebody as if it is a second skin.

"B-b-brother," Michael splutters as blood drips from his mouth in dark red globs. "P-p-please,"

Another terrifying roar bounces around the hallway, leaving Ace frozen in place, barely breathing himself. Then, a language Ace has never heard before comes out of the creature. The language is beautiful and dangerous, especially coming out of the creature.

Michael looks terrified as well as he attempts to crawl away. He tries to speak in the same tongue but the creature will not allow it as he roars every time Michael tries to speak. Then, a bright white light blinds Ace enough that he has to close his eyes, but he can still see the bright light.

"That is enough!" Ace recognizes God's voice. "Lucifer, calm down and check on Ace,"

Ace snaps his eyes open at the mention of Lucifer's name. The black smoke slowly vanishes, leaving a man with blood red skin and tall horns atop his head that is the darkest black Ace has ever seen before. They are so black it is almost as if there is nothing there but blank space.

As the man gets closer Ace realizes who it is.

"Lucifer!" Ace shouts. The chains holding him captive clank around as he tugs on them.

Lucifer looks the same as he did before, only now his skin is blood red and he has horns. Other than that, he is the absolute same as Ace remembers him. He did have an angry expression on his face, an expression Ace never wishes to see again as it was truly terrifying. But as soon as Lucifer looks at Ace, his expression changes to one of grief and remorse. Another look Ace never wishes to witness.

Lucifer touches Ace's chest with one finger, clothing Ace completely, even adding an oversized black hoodie, the hood covering his head. Then, the chains disappear and Ace falls into Lucifer's hold. Lucifer's arms around him are extremely tight, almost to tight. But Ace holds onto Lucifer with as much strength as his human body can muster.

It wasn't until he was wrapped in Lucifer's hold did Ace realize how badly he was shaking. Lucifer's touch is comforting, though, and reminds him that he is now safe. That he is always safe as long as he is with Lucifer.

Ace clutches onto Lucifer's leather shirt as he closes his eyes tightly. He makes a silent promise to himself that he will never leave Lucifer's side if they ever leave Hell again. Ace had forgotten that Lucifer wasn't the only person with power, and he forgot that he himself had none.

"I am so sorry, Ace," Lucifer's voice is back to normal now as he whispers the words into Ace's ear.

Ace gulps as he nods his head slightly. "How did you know to come?"

"I first heard you call out to me," He says gently. "You sounded so scared that I had frozen like an idiot. Then, the Sigil summoned me,"

Ace lifts his head to look at him. His skin is no longer red and the horns have disappeared.

"You heard me call out to you?" Ace asks confused.

"I told you, love, I can hear when someone says my name. I heard you call out,"

"I only whispered your name, though,"

Lucifer smiles sadly. "A whisper is all it takes for me to hear. I can hear thoughts as well, though,"

"Okay, what about the summoning thing? What's that?"

"The Sigil of Lucifer. I explained that when I marked you with it, do you remember?"

"Only a little," Ace admits.

"The mark will damn anyone who tries to harm you. It will burn them for the rest of eternity. And the mark will summon me, to let me know you are in danger. I will always come immediately should the Sigil ever summon me again,"

Ace gulps again. "And that form, was it your devil side?"

Lucifer watches Ace carefully for a moment before reluctantly answering. "Yes, it was. And I am sorry that it scared you. I need you to know that I will never harm you, Ace, ever,"

Ace shakes his head. "No, I know that. I was just scared because I didn't know it was you at first. If I knew it was you I wouldn't have been so scared,"

"I hope you never have to see that side of me again," Lucifer says gently as he kisses Ace's forehead.

Ace closes his eyes as he takes in Lucifer's presence. "Are we done here or can we go home now?" All Ace wants to do now is go back to Hell and be with Lucifer and Maiz.

Lucifer chuckles lightly. "We already are, love,"

Ace's eyes snap open and he looks to the side to notice they are in fact back in their bedroom in Hell.

"I will go back for only a moment to get Tempest, however, will you be okay for a minute?"

Ace nods his head. Now that he is back in Hell he feels much more comfortable. "Yes, I will be fine, Lucifer,"

Lucifer looks him up and down carefully, determining if the human is telling him the truth. Then, he steps back and teleports back to Hell to retrieve Tempest.

As soon as Lucifer is gone, Ace moves to the bed and curls up under the blanket. The only thing he removed was his shoes. Then, he closes his eyes and buries his face in Lucifer's pillow, taking in his calming scent.