A yes with a No

Zaabit---POV

I settle the logs in the fireplace as it picks up its pace to fire into life. It is burning sparingly, with a gentle push to the logs the embers flickers into the air. The embers glows like a fireflies in the dark. The auburn glimmer of the ashes leaves a warm and cozy feeling in the living room.

"Did you meant it when you said you will stay by my side?" I asked once again to make sure.

That day when I had come back from my walk. She was waiting for me at the main gate. I had mentally rubbed my eyes if it was a figment of my imagination. It hadn't been my vision because she was there, waiting for me.

When I finally learned to walk past her she blurts out to stop me and like always shock me.

"I will stay."

I kept straight face while my eyes search for the anguishes in hers when I couldn't find that I realized she meant what she had said.

"I will stay by your side until you get sick of me" she mutters "let's go inside...it's so cold."

"Wait" I finally said.

"You don't believe that I just said that. You can pinch yourself to see that it is real."

She smiled. There is confusion which surrounds her, to me she is the most impulsive person when it comes to her feelings. She doesn't know how changeable she seem to me. She is a bundle of opened yarn which is haphazardly entwined and twisted.

"But why" I reasoned.

"I will do everything which makes you happy. I don't have much time. And there are so many things that I want to do before I leave" she said.

I held her by shoulders as warmness swishes sweetly into my limbs. Her eyes held me in hers.

"If making me happy costs your happiness then you shouldn't do it. I don't want to be that mean. It certainly wouldn't make me happy."

"I cannot avoid your presence in my life forever. It is very selfish of me to be doing that to you. Fate has made us cross each other path."

"You still don't trust me" she said, snapping me from my thoughts of what happened few days ago.

"I don't" I said.

I give the log another gentle shove, sparks glows the dark living room. She crouches like me in front of the fireplace. Her dark brown eyes sparkle and the cinders dances in her orbs. I feel myself deviating deeper into that to seek her depth. There is no turning back, it is here I want to be. The only reflections in her eyes.

My hand touches the softness and smoothness of her face. The fragility visible in that, she is cold.

"You are cold" I voice slowly.

"Well sometimes there is always a part that is better that way."

Upon that I retreated my touch.

"Yeah" I agreed without really understanding what she meant by that.

Is she talking about the condition of her heart? Is she saying, it will never be warm? She is like a charcoal that takes time to fire up it warmness.

"Dad told me, you may not remember us" I stated, aiming to decimate the sudden tense air.

She reaches out to the nearest loveseat to grab two cushion, toss them aligning, facing the burning fire. She beckons me to take one and I do. Now we are sitting beside each other, palms reaching out toward the blazing logs.