Force of Habit

Destiny's POV

After our early breakfast, I dropped off Brian at the station. I still haven't told him about the guy, that he is the same guy from last night. Probably because I don't want to think that Eve could possibly be linked in the case. I knew her, she was someone who's very kind and sweet. What happened to the guy was a work of a heartless murderer. I drove back to my condo.

I stood in the front of my closet, I opened it and took out a big box. I looked at the contents of the box, they contained my works, all of the pieces of poetry I have composed for Eve. I still write a few verses about her, it is a force of habit that I can't break. I picked up the newest notebook from the pile, I have finished writing on it only a week ago. I read through it.

****Flashback****

Brian walked into the hallway and found me sitting on the floor, my back on the lower locker. I was hugging my knees together. I was left there crying. Hysterically.

"Hey, What happened? Who did this to you?" he asked me worriedly. He was shaking in anger.

"S-She d-idn't mean to do this."

"What do you mean? Who did this?"

"Eve..." I finally answered him, while my tears ran down from my face.

I held Brian's hands to calm him.

"Don't confront her. Please." I pleaded to him.

"Shhh... It's going to be all right."

He hugged me tight while his hands were rubbing my back for me to calm down. I stopped crying eventually, after 6 months of getting drunk day-in-day-out. 

I decided to transfer schools after the incident, I couldn't stand all the bullying that will come my way. So, I decided to remove myself from school, I transferred to Northshore College, They credited all of my subjects thankfully, though it's the middle of the semester. I cut my hair short, like a boy's cut, I wore it messy, by this time, my braces were removed and I had to get glasses.

The first day of school, a fresh start for me. I didn't know any one from the school, which was fine by me, not like I needed anyone, I thought to myself.

Students were rushing to their rooms, there were so many people scattered in the hall, I was trying to find my room when a girl bumped into me. Her books fell into the floor.

"I-I... I'm so sorry miss." I told the girl who I bumped, my eyes on the books scattered around the floor, I was helping her pick them up.

"No, I'm sorry, I didn't see you coming because of these pile of books I was carrying."

"Yeah these are a lot, are they all yours?" I chuckled at her

"Uhm, they're for a class, the professor asked me to bring them to our room."

She said while she arranged the pile in her arms.

"Let me help you Miss?"

I said asking her a question

"Kate. Kate Howell."

"Hi, I'm Destiny. Destiny Valerio." I took one half of the pile of books she had in her arms.

She smiled at me

"Thank you."

She said

"Where is your room?"