Rivendell

Attara's POV

¤

"This was your plan all along. To seek refuge with the enemy!" Thorin exclaimed angrily. The party came to a stop at his words.

¤

"You have no enemies here, Thorin oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself." Gandalf replied calmly.

¤

"You think the elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us!" Thorin retorted.

¤

"Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered." Gandalf reasoned.

¤

The party began to move again. We walked across a bridge and entered the last homely house. I had been here many times during my life with the elves of mirkwood. They would often travel to visit their kin and I was known well by many of the elves of rivendell.

¤

A dark haired elf I did not recognize approached the party. "Mithrandir" he greeted us.

¤

"Ah Lindir!" Gandalf called.

¤

As he went to speak to the elf the dwarves remained uneasy. Bilbo seemed too in awe to notice. "Stay sharp" Thorin reminded us.

¤

"I must speak with Lord Elrond" Gandalf told Lindir.

¤

"My lord Elrond is not here." Lindir informed him. My face fell, not only would we not receive the help that we needed but I would not get to see my old friend.

¤

"Not here? Where is he?" Gandalf questioned.

¤

Just then the same horn we had heard on the planes sounded. A line of elves on horseback rode across the ridge and encircled us. The dwarves formed a protective circle, shoving Bilbo and I into the center.

¤

"Hold ranks!" Thorin ordered.

¤

I rolled my eyes. Not only were the dwarves prepared to fight an enemy that held no threat, they also felt the need to protect me still. I attempted to shove through the circle of dwarves, but Thorin protectively shoved me back. This time I winced as he pressed my injured ribs. He did not seem to notice.

¤

"Gandalf" Elrond greeted. He had yet to see me due to the dwarves surrounding me. Gandalf and Elrond began to speak but I was unable to hear them from where I stood.

¤

Elrond dismounted his horse and stepped towards the group. Thorin stepped forward, a fierce look in his eyes.

¤

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain." Elrond greeted.

¤

"I do not believe we have met." Thorin stated bluntly

¤

"You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew him when he ruled under the mountain." Elrond told him, seeming unbothered by how rude the dwarf was being.

¤

"Indeed. He made no mention of you." Thorin retorted.

¤

Then Elrond's eyes landed on me. "Ah, Lady Attara! A pleasure to see you again. Although I cannot say I expected you to be in such company." He said raising an eyebrow.

¤

"I can't exactly say it was by choice." I said chuckling lightly. "But now is not the time for such stories."

¤

Elrond then turned to Gandalf and some other elves and began speaking to them in elvish. I understood a few words but was too far to hear the whole conversation.

¤

"What is he saying? Does he offer us insult?" Gloin asked, causing all the dwarves to bristle with anger.

¤

"No, master gloin, he is offering you food." Gandalf informed him.

¤

The dwarves looked amongst themselves and seemed to reach a silent agreement. "Ah well, in that case, lead on." Gloin said.

¤

Elrond instructed another elf I did not know to lead the dwarves to where they could eat. I began following the group until a gentle hand landed on my arm.

¤

"Attara." Elrond said "follow me."