On the Run Again

Attara's POV

I was taken aback by his words. How could be know about what happened to us? I wondered. It seemed by look on his face that he understood my thoughts.

"Other skin-changers weren't the only thing he kept in cages" Beorn began "There were races of all kinds, most notably other fairies."

My breath caught in my throat. I had always assumed that my people were either slaughtered or escaped, not that any of them could have suffered such a horrible fate as being held by Azog and his creatures.

"How many?" I asked, my voice coming out as barely more than a whisper.

Beorn shook his head, a far off look in his eyes. "I couldn't say" he replied sadly.

"Excuse me" I said as I rushed out of the room. Tears were brimming in my eyes and I couldn't stand the thought of falling apart in front of them. I headed out of the house all together and into the garden. I sat down under a large willow tree, the limbs swaying gently around me. As I closed my eyes, tears began to spill down my face.

After a moment I heard two sets of footsteps approaching me. I tried to wipe my eyes quickly and looked up to see who is was. Fili and Kili were standing in front of me and quickly sat down on either side of me. They remained silent for a moment, before Fili spoke up.

"Attara" He started, but paused not knowing what to say "I'm so-I'm so sorry." 

I couldn't bring myself to meet his eyes. I shook my head in response, "there's nothing for you to be sorry about. No one could have known." but my voice barely came out as more than a whisper.

Tears began to stream down my face yet again, and this time I made not attempt to hide them. I felt a tentative hand against my cheek wiping away my tears, and I looked up to meet Kili's eyes. He wrapped his arms tightly around me and I felt Fili's arms around me as well. 

"If any of them are still out there - we'll find them. After this is all over" Kili told me. I simply nodded in response, and pulled the brothers closer to me. For the first time in many years I found comfort in the people around me. 

Soon we headed back into the house and joined the rest of the party. As I entered my eyes met Thorin's and he offered me a tight lipped smile, not seeming to know what to say. Gandalf quickly explained that we were to take some of Beorn's horses to the edge Mirkwood, where we would take the elven path. My heart raced with excitement at the idea of getting to see my friends in Mirkwood again. 

We saddled up quickly and thanked Beorn for his kindness. He had provided us with beautiful ponies that could be sure to get us to the edge of the woods. They were all sturdily built paints with flowing manes and tails and feathers adorning their legs. It was clear they were well taken care of, as they were well muscled and completely clean. My heart ached for Phari as I mounted my pony. As we prepared to ride out, Beorn exited his house to speak with us.

"Go now, while you have the light" he told us, "The hunters are not far behind" he warned. 

We were on the run again.