Lead the Way

Attara's POV

We galloped across the open plains towards the great forest. We knew the orc pack was close on our heels, but we never saw them. As the forest drew near, we came to a stop in front of one of the old elven gates. Gandalf dismounted quickly and headed towards the gate to examine it.

"The elven gate" he said wistfully before turning towards us, "here lies our path through Mirkwood."

"No sign of the orcs. We have luck on our side." Dwalin said as he dismounted his pony. We all followed suit and began to remove our packs from the ponies saddles. 

Gandalf looked off into the distance, and I followed his line of sight. On a ridge overlooking the clearing stood Beorn, in his massive bear form; it seems that it was not luck on our sides, but the massive skin-changer.

"Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master." Gandalf instructed.

As we finished untying our packs, Bilbo approached the forest. "This forest feels... sick, as if I disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?" he asked. 

Gandalf shook his head, "Not unless we go two hundred miles North, or twice that distance South."

I finished untying my pack and tied my ponies reins, preparing to let him run free to Beorn. We each let our ponies run free, and Nori begins preparing Gandalf's horse to let loose. 

"Not my horse! I need it." Gandalf exclaimed.

"You're leaving us?" Bilbo questioned.

Gandalf sighed heavily "I would not do this unless I had to." he said solemnly. 

As Gandalf went to talk to Bilbo, I looked up at the great forest before me. It had been many years since I had returned to Mirkwood and my heart raced as I thought about seeing Legolas and Thranduil again. Thranduil had practically raised me after I the orc attack, and Legolas was like a brother to me. I heard two pairs of footsteps walking towards me, and saw Kili and Fili approaching. I smiled at them, my mood much improved by the possibility of seeing the closest thing I had left to family again. 

"You certainly look - happier" Kili said with a smile on his face. Fili nodded in agreement.

I grinned back at them. "I was practically raised in these woods" I explained, "I'm home."

As we approached the group Gandalf spoke up. "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me" he told us, "this is not the greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray" he warned. 

I nodded as Gandalf discussed the changes in the forest. I could already feel how heavy the air around the forest had become since I last visited. Something was bringing darkness to Mirkwood.

"You must stay on the path; do not leave it" Gandalf continued, "If you do, you will never find it again. Attara knows these woods, she can guide you." After Gandalf mounted his horse and began to ride off, he looked back one last time. "Stay on the path!" he yelled before galloping off. 

As we turned towards the forest my heart raced with a mix of excitement and nerves. As I looked around at the rest of the company, they seemed to mirror my expression.

Thorin was the first to speak up. "Come on. We must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durin's Day" he reminded us. 

"Durin's Day! Let's go!" Dwalin added.

"This is our one chance to find the hidden door" Thorin continued before turning towards me, "Attara, lead the way."