Gratitude

Attara's POV

¤

I woke to a familiar feeling, something I hadn't felt in many many years. The claws of a giant eagle were wrapped around me. As I came to my senses pain seared through my shoulder and left wing. I grimaced.

¤

"Thorin!" I heard Fili yell. I glanced over to see Thorin hanging limply from the claws of another eagle. He couldn't be I though.

¤

We approached a huge rock shaped like a bear. My eagle gently set me down, and I stood up slowly. The rest of dwarves, Bilbo, and gandalf dismounted from the eagles and ran toward Thorin as his eagle gently placed him down.

¤

"Thorin! Thorin!" Gandalf exclaimed as he rushed towards him. Thorin did not respond.

¤

Bilbo ran toward him along with the rest of the dwarves, while I hang back. Gandlaf leaned over him and whispered a spell. Thorin's eyes fluttered slowly open.

¤

"The hafling?" Were the first words out of his mouth.

¤

"It's all right. Bilbo is here. He is quite safe." Gandalf assured him.

¤

Dwalin and kili helped Thorin to his feet. Once he stood up he shook them off and approached Bilbo. "You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place among us?" He asked angrily.

¤

He walked towards Bilbo until they were face to face. "I've never been so wrong in all my life!" He exclaimed before embracing Bilbo.

¤

I left them to continue their conversation. I did not want to intrude.

¤

"And you!" I heard Thorin say. I turned to face him. "If it weren't for you I would have died."

¤

"It was nothing really" I told him sheepishly.

¤

"Are you hurt?" He asked, suddenly. I realized that I had been holding my shoulder. Upon pulling my hand away I noticed it was covered in blood.

¤

"I'll be fine." I said "I just need a little water."

¤

All the dwarves looked concerned, but Gandalf just looked on knowingly. Kili handed me a waterskin and watched curiously.

¤

I slowly peeled my shredded shirt away from my shoulder, revealing the wound. There were four deep puncture wounds from the claws of azog's warg.

¤

I made some of the water rise out of the skin and float towards my shoulder. Once the water reached the wound I put my hand over it and closed my eyes. I felt my shoulder begin to tingle.

¤

When I took my hand away the wound was mostly healed. Where there had been deep puncture wounds before, were now shallow cuts. I looked up to see dwarves with eyes wide.

¤

"Incredible" kili breathed.

¤

"What about that wing?" Gandalf asked. He was the only one unfazed by my act of healing.

¤

He walked towards me slowly, but waited for a nod before placing his hand on my wing. I felt him gently moving his hand over my left wing before he spoke. "This is going to hurt a little." He warned before pushing my wing back into place.

¤

I yelped in pain. My wings were very sensitive in general, and this was almost more than I could take. Tears stung my eyes.

¤

"You won't be able to fly much for awhile I'm afraid." Gandalf informed me.

¤

As I turned back towards the group I saw the variety of expressions they held. Some looked sympathetic, others in awe, but most of all they looked curious. I'm going to have to tell them I thought.

¤

"Well" I started awkwardly "I guess I have a lot to explain"