A Past Told

Attara's POV

¤

All of the dwarves looked on expectantly. I looked towards Gandalf, and he nodded at me encouragingly.

¤

Seeing my hesitation oin spoke up "lass you don't have to-"

¤

"I need to" I told him "you deserve to know. Just bear with me, I've never told this story before."

¤

I took a deep breath and began "as Azog told you, I am in fact no ordinary fairy. I am - as far as I know - the last living fairy of royal blood. I am the daughter of king Gaeleth and Queen Ulissa. My official title is Princess Attara of the Fayee."

¤

I paused to take in the expression of the dwarves around me. Fili and kili were looking at me in awe, whereas the rest of the dwarves looked grim. They understood what the next part of my story entailed. They had lived it themselves.

¤

"When I was very young the orcs attacked our land. I didn't know how to fully use my powers yet. I tried to run to the palace, I thought it would be safe, but azog found me there. I barely managed to escape. If it hadn't been for the eagles I would have died along with the rest of my family. My parents, my sisters... Very few of my people managed to escape that day, and we have been scattered throughout middle earth ever since. I have kept my survival a secret, knowing I would be targeted if anyone ever knew. That's why I was living with a human family when I met you. I lived with the elves for some time as well, but I've been moving between families ever since. My people think the entire royal family died that day, but now the secret is out. I will never forgive Azog for that day, he took everything from me."

¤

I looked up meeting the sympathetic eyes of the dwarves and hobbit around me. "I'm so sorry lass" gloin started. Even dwalin and Thorin tried offering their comforting words.

¤

"I don't want your pity, most of you have been through something far to similar" I told them looking into Thorin's eyes. "And Fili, kili" I add turning towards them "I hope you never have to witness it."

¤

After a moments silence, kili looked up to meet my eyes. "Attara, can I ask you something?"

¤

I nodded in response.

¤

"How did Azog recognize you after all this time?" He asked quietly.

¤

"By my powers." I told him "most fairies can only control one element. Either fire, wind, water, or earth. Fairy royalty are the only ones who can control all of the elements. When I used both wind and fire around him I revealed myself. I didn't think he knew enough about us to figure it out."

¤

As I finished my explanation, the eagles let out a screech and began to fly away. Thorin looked out towards the horizon and froze.

¤

"Is that what I think it is?" Bilbo asked.

¤

In the distance a solitary peak rose out of the horizon.

¤

"Erebor - the lonely mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdom of middle earth." Gandalf said.

¤

"Our home" Thorin breathed.

¤

A small flock of birds flew by. I looked on jealously, already feeling the lack of flying.

¤

"A raven!" Oin exclaimed "the birds are returning to the mountain!"

¤

"That, my dear oin, is a thrush." Gandalf corrected him.

¤

"But we will take it as a sign - a good omen." Thorin replied.

¤

Then Bilbo spoke up "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us."