chapter twenty-five

| Manhattan, NY |

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Taemin! Happy birthday to you!" Taemin's smile was so big as everyone got around to sing him happy birthday. Taemin stood on a chair as he watched Jungkook begin to light his birthday candles. 

"Wait, let me take a picture," Jimin exclaimed, stopping Taemin just in time before he blew out the candles. 

"Jay get over there," Jimin said, motioning him to get in the picture. Jay rolled his eyes just enough for only Alice to notice and moved next to Taemin. 

"Where's that smile? You look like you're being punished," Jihun said jokingly to Jay, who glared back at him. 

"Can I blow my candles now," Taemin asked Jungkook. His patience lasted only about five seconds.

"Almost," Jungkook said. 

Jimin lifted his phone to take the picture. "All right, smile!"

Before Jimin took the picture, Jungkook asked him to wait. He turned his attention to Taehyung, who was standing next to Hoseok. 

"Do you want to get in the picture?"

Taehyung looked around now that everyone's eyes were on him. "It's fine."

"Papa, come on! I want to blow my candles," Taemin practically begged because he was done with the interruptions. 

"Okay," Taehyung replied, giving in. He made his way to the table and decided to stand next to Jungkook, slowly putting arm around his waist. 

Hoseok was too good at being fake because he was full of rage watching them together, but he hid it well.

"Jihun, you should get in the picture too," Alice added, turning everyone's attention to Jihun. 

"Yeah, get in," Jungkook added and Jihun accepted. He made his way and stood next to Jay. 

"Well, hopefully we're ready now. Taemin looks like he's going to lose it if he has to wait another second," Jin said, humoring himself.

"Alright, everyone smile," Jimin said and took a few pictures of  them. "Alright Taemin, blow those candles!"

Taemin inhaled to the point his chest popped out and blew out with all his might. Everyone cheered him on with applause when the candles were extinguished. 

"Yay, let's eat cake now," Taemin exclaimed, making everyone laugh.

_____

"Mind if I sit here," Jihun asked Alice, talking about the empty spot on the couch. 

"Oh, Jay was sitting here, but he won't mind," Alice replied and moved a little to give Jihun a bit more space. 

Jihun sat down next to Alice with his plate of cake in his hands. The adults had sat down together at the kitchen table. Taemin was happily sitting in Taehyung's lap, but his attention was on Taehyung's phone that he let him borrow to play games. Their conversations were making the living room sound quiet where Jihun and Alice were at, even with the television playing.

"Where did Jay go," Jihun asked, taking a bite of his cake. 

"The bathroom," Alice replied. 

"Oh." Suddenly, it felt awkward between the two teenagers. 

"Why did you stop returning my texts," Jihun asked, breaking the ice between them. 

"Jihun..."

"Things were getting good between us, but then it just suddenly stopped. I never asked you why, but I feel that things could go back the way they were."

"Jihun, I can't. I like you, but we can't continue this secret. If Jay were to find out, it would break him," Alice replied. The rejection already began to hurt Jihun.

Ever since they met, things started between them. It started out small, hidden glances at each other when everyone was reunited, then late night texts that made them love every second. But when the trial started, Alice pushed Jihun and not because she started to think he was no good. She realized how in love she was with Jay and she knew she had to end her connection with Jihun.

"You two aren't even dating, so what's stopping us? Things are better with everyone now. If you really wanted, we could become something special," Jihun said softly, placing his hand over Alice's.

"I'm sorry, Jihun, but I like Jay more and I rather be with him," Alice confessed without making much eye contact.

"What the hell is going on?"

Jay had returned to the living room and stood in front of them with an angry look on his face. Alice didn't realize Jihun's hand was still over hers until she saw Jay death staring at their hands. 

"Jay, this isn't what it looks like," Alice tried to explain, quickly pulling her hand back.

Jay turned his attention back to Jihun. "Are you hitting on her?"

"Why would you ask that," Jihun said, avoiding answering the question.

"I'm not an idiot. You think you're some hotshot from L.A who can just come and hit on any girl you want. She's not interested," Jay exclaimed. 

"Guys, what's going on over there," Jin asked from the kitchen table, all the adults now focused on the two brothers. 

Jihun shook his head in disbelief. "What's your problem, Jay? You guys aren't even dating. Quit acting like you're her boyfriend. She doesn't even need you hovering over her like some psychopath." 

Jay's resistance to punch Jihun in the face went out the door and sent Jihun a strong push that made him fall to the floor. 

"Jay, stop," Alice shouted. 

Jihun locked eyes with Jay with a face of anger he had never seen on his younger brother. He got back up and before Jay could even process it, Jihun had thrown a punch to his face. Jungkook was the first to react and rushed to Jay. 

"Stop this now," Jungkook shouted. He put his arms around Jay, but he didn't his hold enough and Jay broke free. Jay swung at Jihun, but Jihun dodged it. Jihun countered back with another punch to Jay's face that resulted with a bloody nose. 

"That's enough, Jihun," Taehyung exclaimed as he shoved Jihun back. 

Jay tried to fight back, but Jin had grabbed hold of his arms. 

"This is over, let's go," Jin said sternly to Jay who tried to push Jin away. 

"Jay, walk away," Jungkook yelled, pointing at him to go to his room. 

Alice's lips began to quiver  as she watched the adults take Jay and Jihun to separate rooms. Her dad, Jimin, made his way over to her with Taemin and sat next to her. She broke into tears as Jimin wrapped his arms around her, soothing her until she calmed down and felt better. 

****

Sorry for being a little behind on an update. I had started writing on Thursday and I was planning to finish it on Friday after work, but I had a bad day. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!

Let me know what you guys think about Jihun and Alice having a secret thing in the past in the comments and remember to vote. Until next time!

- A.