|18| The Least I can Do.

The moon was the only thing shining in the dead of night. The village asleep, peaceful and quiet. Almost too quiet. But as she took gentle steps in the dark room she didn't care if it was eerie, or that something felt off. A large smile spread across her face when she took a moment to observe her sleeping brother. It brought a warm feeling to her heart, one she had been feeling recently. One that she liked. One that she wanted to experience again. She took careful steps forward, creating small taps on the ground.

Leaning forward, she brushed her fingers through his golden strands of hair. Only to let out an annoyed sigh when they got caught in knots. Pulling them out roughly, hoping Naruto wouldn't wake up, she leaned down and planted a soft kiss on his forehead.

"I'll see you in the morning," she whispered, standing up straight and walking towards the door of their shared room. Her violet eyes flashed across the room as she caught the reflected glimmer of light.

Now standing in front of the mirror, she couldn't help the large grin break out. She looked healthy, for once. And even though she had basically been malnourished her whole life, -one of the reasons she was so short- she felt like a normal ninja. Her skin was peach and healthy looking, even showing off the muscle she had gained from all the working out she did, here and in the other world. Most of the scars had been treated too, using a cream Mina did not know existed, some kind of scar cream. If she knew there was that kind of cream out there she would have used it earlier, knowing that she wouldn't have to use a transformation. Anyway, Sakura and Chiyumi did an amazing job. It was certain that they were in another league for medical ninjutsu.

In all honesty, she was overjoyed she had such great people to call friends.

The caw of a raven reminded her of the job she had first planned to start a couple years ago. Intertwining her finger together and stretching her arms in front of her, a look of determination crossed her features, hearing the successful crack of her finger joints. She zipped up the large cloak over her usual bright ninja outfit and made sure the loose parts of the cloak wouldn't get caught in anything.

She placed her foot on the metal railing of her balcony, listening to a small clang of the sudden contact with it, as she tightened her black forehead protector on her forehead. Making sure that the hood of the black cloak was hiding the metal plate of the headband, she leapt off the balcony and onto the roof of the building across the street.

She was gone in a flash.

~~~

The wind howled in the dead of night, but not many humans heard. "Do you really have to leave?" The question left her lips in a mere whisper, her voice lacking the usual loudness. Leg unable to stay still, moving across the dry dirt, creating small clouds of dust to rise. The cloud rose and fell moments later, landing in different areas, parts lading on the calm water.

"I apologise," Her leg stopped moving, standing unnaturally still when she heard his voice, "but tomorrow, I'll be meeting up with my brother." His calm, silky voice responded to her question.

"Why?" She questioned, bringing her fingers into her palm and clenching them so tightly they turned white. "Why!?" She asked again, louder this time, after not gaining an answer. She turned abruptly, so fast that any other person would have gotten whiplash. The wind thrashed her long, mixed coloured locks backwards, bringing more attention to her face.

Blonde eyebrows turned downwards in confusion, creating multiple creases in between. Her left eye twitching every now and then. The waterfall of tears being held back by the mounds of frozen ones. No water droplet spilt out of her eyes. Jaw clenching and unclenching unconsciously with every ragged breath she took in and let out. Her pink, plump lips forming a scowl the longer she stared at the silent male.