|23| Broken Dam

It's been a long time, but I'm back! And hopefully staying here.

Thanks to @PooGura for motivating me.

Y'all probably won't be reading this for longer, so on with the story!

P.S I've added a re-cap. 

----

All train of thought stopped when she watched as her brother yelled at the man named Mukade. Her mind empties as the real-life images continued to move. Though she couldn't stop her movements when the man started absorbing the seal, smiling like a crazed man.

And just like lightning striking she was yelling Naruto's name, reaching out to him as he was being swallowed by the purple mass of chakra. His blue eyes widened profusely, "MINA?" He yelled confused, but there wasn't enough time for questions to be answered.

Their fingertips grazed, rough and hard skin scraping against each other as they stretched with all their might to reach each other. Mina bit her lip in anticipation, adrenaline pumping through her veins.

But they were never able to grab ahold of each other.

So close, but yet so far.

*-*

"Hey," She whispered, lying in bed one late night. Unable to sleep, she stared at the plain ceiling. Naruto hummed in response, listening but still half asleep. "Do you think we can ever meet our parents?"

"They're dead."

Everything seemed to freeze at Naruto's blunt comment. And Mina already knew that what he said was true, but it still tugged on her heart in pain to be told it. The silence was so thick, she was suffocating under the pressure. The longer it was quiet, the longer the uneasy feeling lingered.

A glimmer of hope shone as he spoke the next words. "Maybe we can meet them when we die?"

"But I don't want to die just to meet them," The redhead whined, turning to her side to face Naruto's bed. "It was their fault they decided to kick the bucket."

"Maybe we can travel back in time, ya know?"

"Ha, like that's possible."

"Then what do you suggest? I mean there's nothing we can do apart from die, and meet them in the next life, ya know." Naruto muttered, sighing and somewhat dreading the conversation they were having.

"I read somewhere that you can seal chakra in people, maybe they did that. To us? So at one point, we could meet them on a whim. In our Phyce?"

"What's a Phyce?" The blonde questioned.

"Simply put, the mental state of a person."

"Wow, you're so smart."

"You don't have to be sarcastic, ya know!" Naruto only laughed at her response and then remained quiet for a moment.

"Hey, don't think about the past too much. We're not living in the past, ya know, we're living in the future."

"Present. But sure..."

*-*

Mina's heart thumped in her chest, seeming to hit her ribcage with a painful bash each and every time. It was the only sound she could hear as of now, her heartbeat.

A heartbeat? She thought, confused. When did I get a heartbeat?

Time ticked on, she laid on the cold hard ground, lost in thought, seeing nothing but the images her mind conjured. Oh right, humans have hearts.