Friday, December 30, 2022

I don't know what is worse, having your mother die on Christmas day because of cancer she had been battling for six months, or finding out that your father is some star of a team that you hate.

I rather have gone with the option of not knowing where I was going to end up then go and live with my big shot father, but sadly I wasn't given that option. I mean, come on, I'm fifteen years old, don't you think I should be able to decide where I end up, but no, I don't get too. My brothers aren't that happy with this situation either, but we can't do much.

My whole life, it was just me, my mother, and my brothers. My brothers and I are a part of a set of triplets, which is pretty awesome. My brothers and I have always been active, and did three sports each. One of those sports, however, we played together. It was hockey. We always played on the same line, and we were the highest scoring line in every league we played in.

When the wake time came for our mother, my brother's and I have been living with some of our friends that had been able to take us in until after the holidays. All three of us was separated, and that was hard for all three of us.

Yesterday was the wake. One of my mother's best friend when she was in school decided to come. I have never met her, but I have heard about her, just briefly though. When she went through the line she stopped by me first. "I'm so sorry for your mother's death. I'm Erica Kane, and I was a close friend of hers when she went to my school." I did hear about her. Mom and Erica was still in contact, well up until mom got sick.

"Thank you, that means so much."

I saw her glance over to my brothers, like she recognized them from somewhere. "May I ask, when did your mother have you? She hadn't mentioned that you guys are this old."

"Oh, we were born in March of 07."

She glances over at my brothers once again. "Do you guys know who your father is?"

I shook my head. "No, mom said that she left letters with the lawyer for us and him once she dies. I don't think that our dad even knows that we exist." I literally could see the wheels turning in her head. I wonder what she was trying to work out in her mind, but before I can ask she continues down the line.

As the night continued, and I notice that she was still here. She was talking on the phone with somebody. My focus wasn't on her for long, however, since my brothers and I decided to go into the back room for a break.

William, the middle one, collapsed into one of the chairs being emotionally drained. There was only the three of us that are left in our mother's family. She was an only child, and her parents died couple of years ago.

I grabbed some of the carrots that was in the back room. I eat whenever I get stressed out, and this was one of those stressed moments.

"Wyatt," William said looking at the youngest, who was on his cell phone. "Why was that lady looking at you like she knows you?" Thank god that I wasn't the only one who realize that. That was so weird!

"No idea, guess I have one of those beautiful faces that is just memorable." Wyatt was 5'10' with long wavy blond hair. Mom always said that he looked just like his father. I couldn't help but to cough on the carrots. Wyatt gave me a death glare. "What Winter, don't know how to swallow a carrot?"

"No, I can, but you aren't beautiful. You look like an elephant decided to sit on your face!" That comment made William to snicker. "William, you don't look that much better than Wyatt, so I wouldn't laugh if I was you!"

This is our normal, constant bickering. "Um... I think you need glasses, Winter, because I'm as beautiful as Tyler Seguin!" Wyatt yelled, throwing a carrot at me.