Friday, January 6, 2023

I am so happy that Friday is finally here. This has been one hell of a week, and not in a good way. School is already out for the weekend. Jamie gets to mess around until 5:30, which is the start of my game, since his game isn't until 7. So, while he can go, I have to go right to the rink to prepare for my game.

Even though my brothers and I are not talking, we still meet in the hallways to start our routines.

"Ready?" William said as I came out.

"Ready."

With that the three of us starting to stretch right there in the hallway. Even though I'd never admitted it, I did enjoy hanging out with my brothers. We stretched, ran some laps, and played our version of catch. We carry a little, hard ball that is almost impossible to see. We chuck that at each other, and it sure helps build up reaction time. If not, the ball feels like someone is punching you if it makes contact with your face.

"Damn, I wish we were on varsity," Wyatt said before he threw the ball at me.

I snagged it out of the air as I said, "I know, it's bull that we can't."

"Guys, this way we can get better so we can kick everybody's asses." Why does William always have to look at the bright side of things? Mom always said this was one of the best parts of him, but I don't think it is. It actually is very annoying.

Fighting the urge to say something snarky, I just continued to watch the little ball.

"Wow, Winter, are you feeling alright? No comment?"

"No comment," I grumpily said getting into my game mode.

We continued for thirty more minutes before we were summand because it was time to get changed for warmups.

Stepping onto the ice, I felt at home for the first time in a week. My muscles felt nice and loose. I can't wait for this game to start. About ten minutes into warmups, I noticed that Patrick and Amanda were sitting right behind the goal. All around them sat the entire team of Blackhawks. Great, can't they just go?

I can't let them bother me. I need to focus on the task at hand.

Before I knew it, I was sitting in the guy's changing room listening to the JV coach give us the game plan. It was very simple especially when you are trying to tell some stupid freshmen how to play a hockey game. I know, I am a freshman, but this group is absolute trash compared to who I'm used to playing with and against. I'm not going to like it if every team we play against is like this.

Needless to say, my brothers and I started. We are clearly the best line of this team. This isn't coming from me but from the coaches and team.

The first period came and went. The first five shifts for me and my brothers we had scored. The next ten minutes, we found ourselves a primary spot on the bench. Each minute I sat there, the more pissed I got.

Honestly, without the three of us, this game would be an even match. It was a stalemate between the two of them, and no one seemed like they can do anything with the puck.

Being sandwiched between my brothers didn't help my mood at all. I was about to fire a gasket.

When the first period ended, I was so happy. Most people wouldn't be this pissed coming off a period where your line got five goals, but most people wouldn't be benched for that.

I chucked my equipment off in my own private changing room. Guess we found another reason why they shoved me over here so that when I have tantrums, no one can see.

Being only in my compression outfit, I hastily put shorts on before I left the room. Not thinking where I was going, I ran into somebody. Jamie.

"Alright, Winter, calm down," he said when he saw my face.