Monday, January 30, 2023

The first sense I got back was touch. I could feel the firm bed under my stiff body, the deflated pillows under my spinning head, the fuzzy blanket laid on top of my small figure. The pain in my stomach had changed from nausea to hunger.

Along with that, every once in a while, I would feel something squeeze my hand before they would let go. Also, the cold mask on my face.

Then came my smell. The hospital smell, that I hate so much, flooded into my nostrils, but it was accompanied with a bitter coffee smell.

I don't know anybody that would be here; let alone bring coffee with them. I don't have that many friends, and my whole family hate me.

Hearing was amazing to get back, but it was also very depressing.

"Patrick Kane will not play tonight because of an unknown family emergency," a man said that quietly.

Then came the voice I recognized from our fifteen years of being siblings, Wyatt. "I'm surprised that hasn't been leaked."

"It will be," a sad familiar voice said. "It always does."

The people stopped talking, but it sounded like couple people was giving a play by play of a hockey game. Trust me, I know how that sounds like because I watched enough games in my youth.

I ignored that to try to figure out something about my environment. There was beeping, but I knew that was just the heart monitor. In my life, I woke up in a hospital so many times because of situations like these. I need to stop having these reactions.

"Pat," a female voice quietly said. In a normal place barely anyone would hear her, but it almost sounded like she was yelling since it was so silent. "We don't have to watch this if it's bothering you that bad."

I heard the guy take a deep breath. "It's not the game, Amanda." Someone squeezed my hand again. "How long does it normally take?" The question was full of strain and pain.

"Normally," another voice that I know very well, "it's two to three days."

"This isn't even close to the worse."

The female spoke next, "But they said this was very severe!"

No one said a word for a long time. I tried to focus on opening my eyes, but they didn't want to work. My head throbbed after every attempt, so I decided to stop.

My body and mind were tired. I almost felt like I have been trying to cram for a test while sprinting for a month straight.

"Boys, I'm heading home. Are the two of you going to school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I guess. She'd get pissed if we stayed here."

Nothing was said, and I even didn't think anything needed to be stated.

The doors banged shut, but not everyone left. There was another squeeze. I could hear their breath and the hockey game.

The hand remained holding mine as I drifted back to the darkness.