Saturday, January 14, 2023

After the game, Jamie and I sat on the bench outside the rink. "I don't want to go back there. Can't I just live with your family?"

"You wouldn't want to deal with my dad that much. It's hockey all the time."

"That doesn't sound bad at all. That's what it's like with the Idiots."

He grabbed my hand. "Do you have anything going on tonight?"

"No," I said rolling my eyes.

"Good, don't do anything. I have a plan."

I looked at him like he was absolutely crazy. "What?"

"You'll see it later. I have to get going."

"Jamie!" I yelled at him as he got up and jogged back into the arena. "Jackass," I mumbled under my breath.

"That better have not came out of your mouth." I turned around to see Amanda and Anna. "Are you ready to go shopping for a dress?" Anna said with a huge smile on her face.

"For what?"

"Winter formal," Amanda said. "This way you have less time dealing with Patrick."

I jumped up. "Okay, but I'm not wearing a dress."

"We'll see about that," Anna said before the three of us headed towards Jon's car.

The drive went by quickly listening to the radio while the two ladies in the front talked and talked about everything and anything. I didn't really care since I was busy listening to the music. I hated shopping, but I hated being around Patrick even more.

The first store that the three of us entered made my stomach turn. Most girls would say that it was so cute, but all I saw was huge numbers. Mom never let me buy anything over five dollars, even for clothes.

Amanda and Anna split ways as they started to look in the racks. I just stood in my spot not daring myself to move a muscle, afraid that I'll break something. I know that Anna and I went shopping, but we weren't shopping for me then. It was for nothing then, but now it's for something.

"Good afternoon, ma'am," a worker said coming up to me. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

I started to say the usual, nothing just looking, but Amanda yelled from half way across the store (how did she get there so fast), "Yeah, we are trying to find her a Winter Formal dress."

"That's under ten dollars!" I interjected feeling mortified.

The worker looked at me with a lot of concern. "Oh, honey, you won't find anything then." Then she turned towards Amanda and asked, "What's the price limit?"

"None."

"Color?"

All three ladies looked at me for my preference. "Black."

"I think her skin tone and hair would better suit for a dark red dress," the unnamed lady stated making both Anna and Amanda to nod in agreement. "Strawberry blond hair, dark blue eyes, and olive skin tone. The red would defiantly pop. I know the perfect dress." The worker clapped her hands before she ventured away and pulled a very beautiful dress that I don't think I'd ever be able to afford. "Try it on. Go. Go."

The dress was handed to me and then I got pushed towards a changing room.

When the dress was finally on, I looked at myself and couldn't believe my eyes. The dress fitted perfectly. The mesh, lacey thing raised from my waist to my neck. On either side of my neck was the thin straps that was the only thing to hold the light dress up. At my waist, there was a ruby gem belt that separated the mesh to the short flowy skirt that only ventures to midthigh.