Sunday, January 1, 2023

When I woke up, I instantly got changed and ran outside. I barely got any sleep last night, since I woke up at my normal time. William and Wyatt was up, but I didn't say anything to them. I just needed to clear my head and get over this hangover that was alive.

I was out there a lot longer than I am usually am. I didn't mind since it almost made me feel like I was back home. But, no matter how much that let me forget about everything, those feelings could only last for so long before I would have to go back to reality.

I didn't go back inside until William came back from his run. Even if we are not really talking, I don't want to face Patrick without him by my side. "You know your yelling this morning woke me up, and neither Wyatt nor I told on you."

"It's alright, but I think we are supposed to go in there and get this show on the road."

William wrapped his sweaty arm around me, "No matter what, we always have each other's back."

I ducked out of under his arm, laughing. "Well, that was the promise that we had with Mom when she finally let me join hockey."

"She hated seeing you out there with the possibility of getting hurt. You was already having allergic reaction almost monthly."

We walked through the front door laughing. "Yeah, but to my issues, I didn't know that basically every single food in this world as eggs in it. I'm surprised that I haven't died of allergic reaction or starving!"

William joined everyone else at the table. Today they were having pancakes and sausage. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of milk before I sat between my two brothers. I piled sausage on my plate as the whole table went quiet. Everyone knew what happened last night, but no one wanted to bring it up.

"So, Patrick," Wyatt said breaking the silence. "Do you know what school that we are going to go to?"

Amanda was the one who answered since all Patrick did was shrug. "There's a high school couple of blocks away that is pretty nice and has a great hockey team. That's where you most likely will go. We'll have to get you three enrolled tomorrow."

"Speaking of hockey," William said setting his fork down since he already finished his two pancakes. "Is there any way we can go to a rink today? We had never had more than two days off, and we haven't played since Wednesday."

"I don't believe that we have anything going on, so I think that we can," Amanda said looking a silent Patrick. I quickly finish my food, and brought my plate out to the sink before I disappeared upstairs. I doubt that I'll be able to go with them.

I sat in the window seat, watching the world go by. I was okay with the stillness and silence. It was calming and relaxing.

I don't know how long I sat there until I heard someone knocking on my door. I didn't move an inch or said a word. Whoever it was, I didn't really care to hear what they had to say. "Winter?" I heard Patrick's little boy's voice erupt from my door frame. "Winter, we got to talk about last night."

"I don't think we do. I went out with a friend and drank. I bet you did the exact same thing when you were my age. I guess we are a lot alike, more than I care to admit." I didn't dare to look over at him.

He didn't say anything right away, but I heard him walk over closer to me. I felt him sit on the cushion by my feet. "I do not want to fight about this. I just want you to know that I have changed, and I know that you don't want to be here and that you don't like me. I'm glad that you are here. I hope one day that you see me for the real me, but that is something you can only do yourself. No matter what happens or your feelings for me, I'll still be your father." Both of us just sat there in silence before, he got up and started walking out of my room. "Oh, get ready, we leave in ten minutes. Make sure you have your hockey things."