Thursday, January 19, 2023

Hey everyone. I just wanted to take this time to thank all of you for reading this story. I honestly don't know what it was about this story, but I loved every minute writing this. Also, there are only nine chapters left. I hope that you enjoy this story as much as I do, and please let me know about your thoughts or feels about the story, even if it's just to say that Winter is a bitch. It won't hurt my feelings too much. Hope all you are having a good day and thanks again for everything!

Also I need your guys opinion. I have been thinking about changing and editing this story and trying to get it published. I need to know if you rink it will be a good idea or not. Thank you.

Sitting in the stands, I was so ready to fall asleep after last night's dream. Whenever I saw my family, they all looked at me with sad, longing faces. I know that I'm not doing well mentally, but I didn't need them to act like I'm a bomb ready to explode. I just might if they kept acting like this to me.

Anyways, the puck just dropped, and I could tell instantly that this was going to be one of those games. Whoever they are, won the starting face off, and my teammates spent the first ten minutes in their own zone.

Our goalie is decent, but I don't how the other team doesn't have at least five goals by now.

For my job, I have to make notes about things the boys did wrong and good. The problem was that I could barely keep my eyes open, yet alone trying to figure out what is going on during the game.

Sixteen minutes in the period the other team scored. Before the next puck drop, a guy sat on either side of me.

"Hey Winter," Jon said looking at the notebook that I had in my hand. "You missed that Wyatt had a chance to get the puck out, and he gave it right away."

I rolled my eyes while I wrote that down. Damn, I hate it when I'm wrong. "Thanks."

"No problem. I remember doing this when I was your age."

"You got benched?"

"No, injuries, but it did feel like I was being benched at the time."

"But I'm really getting benched."

The puck was dropped again, and we still haven't got possession. "Shit," I mumbled, scribbling comments on the sheet of paper.

Patrick adjusted around in his seat before he asked, "If you were out there right now, what would you do?"

"I don't know."

He let a little chuckle at that. "I know that's not the true answer. You always have a plan."

I didn't answer until the whistle blew, and the boys were going on the power kill thanks to Wyatt hooking. "I would get the puck any way that I can. Just don't get a penalty in the process, and you're golden. Don't want to lose more progress when you're struggling to just make ground."

The rest of the period the three of us were quiet. I stayed with them since I got told not to come down because I can't be in the changing room that long, so to the coaches, it wasn't worth me even venturing down there.

"Where are Amanda and Anna?"

"Normal seats," Patrick said. "We thought that we'll sit with you since you're by yourself."

I looked at him, confused. "Is that the real reason, or is it that you're worried about me because of last night?"

That question seemed to stump him. He did start and stop a couple of times before he gave up. His reaction was a good enough answer for me.

After that the three of us went quiet until the Zamboni went off the ice, Jon got up. "I'm getting some food. Want anything?"

Patrick quickly answered, "Sure, get me a pretzel."

Jon laughed at that. "I wasn't asking you, dumbass. I was asking your daughter."

"Still get me a pretzel."

"Okay, fine. I'll get you a pretzel. Winter, what do you want?"

"I'm fine. I don't need anything."

"You sure?" Jon asked, not budging from his spot.

I nodded. "I'm sure."

"Oh, alright," and with that he was gone, leaving Patrick and me alone.

Sitting there, my mind wandered about what I'd be doing right now if Mom was still alive. I'd probably be home alone channel surfing while the boys were out with their friends. Oh, how the times have changed? Now, I'm sitting in a chair watching hockey, and the boys are playing hockey with their friends.

The second period started and once again, the boys were getting their asses handed to them. Truthfully, I was split between being sad for them because it doesn't seem like they can do anything about it and being happy because I could have changed this game if they didn't throw me on the sideline just because I wanted us to win. How shellfish of me?

Halfway through the second, Jon came back and handed me a hotdog without a bun. I accepted the food without any fighting.

The rest of the game, the two grown men sitting next to me, talked, while I watched the boys on the ice get their asses handed to them.

I sat in that seat, writing many notes down about the JV and varsity team. Before I knew it, I handed my report to Coach Serry, and my brothers came up to Jon and Patrick.

"Hey Dad, is it alright if Will and I stay over at Dave's house?"

Patrick looked at him like he was crazy. "What about school?"

"We don't have school," I said, plugging my headphones into my phone. I turned on my music before anyone else said a word. The guys did give me some time since they all gave me these shocked looks. They probably are amazed that I have a voice.

Whatever. I'm done with their shit.