16. The Temptation

The elevator ride was quiet. They stood close together, their hands still together.

Sara was tired, not just from her run but from the men who continued to hurt her.

Her father was always so narcissistic, using his illness to gain sympathy and then turning on them. He'd talk about people behind their back as easy as ever, from her own mother to herself. She'd heard him call her stupid, and even voice concern to her mother about how she wasn't good enough to make a career out of dancing.

She'd left her home to get away from him and now she was here and she'd gained a stalker. A man who'd declared ownership of her and who'd tried to hurt her.

James, maybe he was her stalker, who knows, but whoever hurt her had been male for sure. She remembered his voice and how he'd gotten off on her pain.

Now Logan. He'd been so nice to her but it was just a ploy as he admitted.

Was Malcolm next?

Pulled from her worries instantly. The elevator shook and at first she thought it was residing on their floor but then the lights flickered.

"Shit," Malcolm cursed. The elevator shook again, this time more violently.

Sara reached out and clutched onto Malcolm's arm, her body shaking as fear overcame her.

The elevator stopped suddenly. No movement at all.

"Malcolm," Sara says shakily.

The lights went out and only darkness was left.

"Sara," Malcolm says.

She feels his arms wrap around her. He reassuringly pulls her to his chest careful of her bruised body.

"It'll be fine, sweetheart," Malcolm mumbles pressing a chaste kiss to her head.

As the emergency lights flickered on, Malcolm's eyes darted for the emercency call button.

He presses the button twice then places his hand back on Sara's head, running his fingers down her long ponytail.

"Hello? This is security, everything okay?" The voice on the intercom says.

Malcolm presses the talk button. "The elevator seems to be stuck."

"We've got a power outage in some parts of the building. How many of you are in there?"

Malcolm squints. "Isn't there security cameras? Or are those out?"

"No cameras in the elevators. There are three floors without power and it seems the other elevator is out too. Theres a short in a transformer. They say it might take a while. I'll call the fire department. What floor are you guys on?"

Malcolm thinks before pressing the call button. "Three, I think."

"Good! It looks like the elevator will stay there for now. You'll have to keep still for a few hours, maybe until morning. The fire department can't do much at the moment."

"Malcolm," Sara says worriedly as she looks at him with pleading eyes.

"So you guys are just gonna leave us here?" Malcolm asks frustratedly.

"It wont fall, it isn't broken. I can assure you, we are doing everything we can, sir."

Malcolm curses under his breath as the line goes dead.

"Malcolm," Sara repeats.

"It'll be okay, sweetheart. Trust me... why don't you sit down, you look tired," he says helping her to sit. She leans down, resting against the wall and finally sitting down.