Chapter 41. The Heartbreak

Regina stood at the kitchen sink. Her hands roaming through the running water as she rinses a white plate. She views the city from the window, her eyes scanning the skyline. Words run through her, organized and rehearsed.

The sound of the front door closing echos throughout the near empty penthouse. Regina shuts off the water and sets down the plate to let it soak. She goes for a hand towel and runs it over her hands to dry them, her nerves setting in.

Sara walks into the kitchen with a heavy plastic bag.

"What'd you get?" Regina asks to break the ice. More like a woodpecking pecking a window, clueless.

"Some nausea tablets, prenatal vitamins that my doctor perscribed. Some junk food because everything in the store looked really good," she says opening the bag with determination all of a sudden. Sara pulls out a chocolate bar and rips the packaging. Already digging in.

"Would you like some tea?" Regina asks.

"Milk would be great with all the chocolate I've got!" Sara says sitting on the bar stool at the kitchen island.

Regina can't help but laugh as she grabs a cup from the cabinet and then goes for the fridge.

When Regina sets the milk down in front if Sara, she digs in again. Regina sits beside her, her hands clasped together in front of her.

"Sara, you know Malcolm is like a... a cousin to me. An annoying cousin who can't crack an egg or wash a dish but hes family."

Sara nods, her mouth too full to reply.

"We met years ago. He was friends with a husband in college."

"I didn't know you were married," Sara finally says.

Regina shakes her head. "I was. You see, my... ex-husband, Peter, was very afluent. He owned a tech company skyrocketed, with the help of his very famous father. He grew up in the city, went to private schools, even the top college in the state. But Peter somehow decided I was good enough. We dated, had one of those college romances that pissed off his parents. Thats how I met Malcolm, he was friends with Peter however Malcolm wasn't as stuck up as him. To be honest I have no idea how they were friends."

Sara nods, following the story as she digs further into the bag to grab more of whatever she picked up.

"I became pregnant. It shouldn't have been a suprise with how much...nevermind... the point is... I was nineteen, pregnant, a black sheep who was some how getting married to the most prestine of the bunch. He confessed his love to me daily, made me feel so special. Then I lost the baby. It was two months in, a few days after the wedding. I was destraught. He was angry. I was angry."

Sara feels a tinge of pain within herself. The way she felt when she thought there were complications. The idea of her son being taken away from her was too much to bare. Shaking her head, ridding her mind of such pain just before tears could form.

"Did you two... did you get through it?" Sara felt stupid for asking such a question. How was it possible for anyone to get over or through the heartbreak of losing a child. She wanted to take the quesion back but suddenly seeing Regina nod her head meant the question wasn't a mistake.

"I had hope, blind faith that one day we would have another. A year passed. We got through it. It seemed like we had our whole life to make up for it. Soon he started to distance himself. He spent late nights at the office, rarely spoke to me when he was at home. I knew he was grieving. I was too. It had been a year though and so it was hard for me to understand how he could just change so quickly. He and I would still sleep together, his love making was so different though... I became pregnant again and was so thankful. I had plans to tell him one night but he left suddenly. He was all dressed up wearing a tux. I thought it was odd, I thought maybe it was a work event. I then recieved a call from his sister asking why I was not at the family's dinner party. I was confused as she was. When he arrived home, he told me that he took someone else with him."