34. The Ex

Malcolm parked the truck in the underground garage in his designated space. His eyes were heavy from exhaustion. The drive had taken a lot longer with the snow causing an accident down the highway. He was relieved however, Sara was able to sleep soundly, her body awkwardly turned to lay across the middle seat, her head in his lap. Playing with her hair kep him calm whenever he was frustrated with traffic. The sound of her faintly snoring made him chuckle having never heard her snore before. Occasionally he would run his hand over her stomach even though the baby was merely the size of a pea.

Now, he relaxed in the parked truck, turning off the ignition before gently pulling off his seatbelt. Malcolm reached over to pull Sara's seatbelt but he knew he'd never be able to get it off of her with the way she laid across the seats.

"Sara," Malcolm calls to her with a sigh. "Baby, wake up, we're home."

Was this home? Could he really raise a child in a bachelor pad like penthouse? Thats what he wanted to tell Sara. Right before the truck swerved into their lane, Malcolm was going to ask her if they should look for homes. A townhouse maybe? A nicer home just outside the city?

Sara slowly sits up then she rubs her eyes just as she pulls off the seatbelt.

Malcolm closes the door behind him then hurries to her door. He swings the door wide open and begins to wrap his arms around Sara.

"I got you, just sleep," He says positioning his arm under her legs and the other around her waist.

"Don't be silly... I weight a bagillion pounds," she says just before yawning. She turns jumps down from the high truck, she stumblea a little getting onto her feet.

Sara grabs her purse from the floor of the front seat, swinging it over her shoulder just before going to the bed of the truck.

"Sara?" Malcolm questions.

She opens the truck bed and begins to reach for a box.

"No! No, no, no, you cannot lift that," Malcolm rushes to her trying to push the box out if her reach.

"Really? I'm not even a month pregnent, I'm like two weeks pregnant! I can lift a fucking box," she says in utter shock of his overreaction to her lifting a box.

She lifts the box, its not heavy but not lite. Sara lifts it high as she walks towards the door leading to the elevator, leaving Malcolm with a huge grin.

_______________________________________

A cold shower is exactly what Malcolm needed to reflect on the day.

Watching Sara smile as she unloaded the boxes into her room, placing small trinkets and pictures around the room filled Malcolm's heart to the brim with love. Malcolm imagined her being as happy when decorating the nursery. Even with images like that he would still hold her hand at the clinic.

When Sara got to the books her father hadn't sold, Malcolm told her to put them in the library instead. She felt odd about it, felt as if she was overstepping but Malcolm insisted. He showed her what little books he had in his home library since his office at work held all of his law books. Empty shelves waiting to be full, the sight made Sara smile that made Malcolm's day complete.

Sara had showered earlier while Malcolm picked up some Tai food. She moaned at the food like never before, her apetite was picking back up to the time he first had her over for dinner.

When Sara was stuffed, she dragged Malcolm to the bedroom, a mischevious grin on his face. The grin soon faded as they fell onto the bed and Sara reached for the remote.

Sara was far too invested in a CSI rerun to look at him however she did reply to his offer to join him. She simply shook her head mumbling about how she had already took one.