23. The Warmth

Malcolm had gone through every room on the second and third floor as did Lucien and the other two gaurds that were on the compound.

Malcolm called out Sara's name outside the house for over ten minutes before coming to the conclusion that had she been outside she'd be long gone in a car or dead from the cold.

The snow was so heavy as was the fog that came with it. Nothing could be seen and the wind made it hard for one's eyes to stay open.

"She has to be in the house. Did you check the third floor?" Lucien says as Malcolm shuts the back door.

"I did... God Damn-it! How could she just fucking... are you sure the cars are accounted for?"

Lucien nods. "All three of them. Her shoes and jacket are still here, she didn't leave."

"Her phone is charging on our night stand too. She hasn't left," Malcolm says as if reassuring himself.

"Our nightstand?" Lucien asks raising an eyebrow.

"Yes! Our nightstand, next to our bed where she and I sleep!" Malcolm yells.

"Calm down! I am teasing. You honestly think I don't see the way you look at her?"

Malcolm tries to compose himself, to be relaxed somewhat but the thoughy of Sara not being within his sight is irritating him.

"I'll start on the third floor and work my way down, you work your way up," Lucien says.

Malcolm nods and starts in the sun room.

Lucien goes up the two sets of stairs to the third floor where he begins in the open attic room.

He calls out for Sara to be thorough.

You're calling out her name in a small space like this? What is she doing?hiding under the couch? He scoffs at his though.

Shifting towards the stairs to go back down he sees the steps leading to the attic space door.

He groans and hops up the steps to check. Pulling then pushing on the door once then twice with more force. It cracks open making a sound of splintering wood. He groans as the door springs free.

The cold air rushed over him. "Fuck," he whispers as he sees the small snow pile near the window.

He decides to turn around and get a door stopper so he could shut the window then let the room warm up.

"Shit!" His eyes laid on the sleeping girl. Her skin extremely white, almost like a ghost. Her lips having turned a shade of light blue.

"Malcolm!" Lucien calls out.

Lucien grabs the chair from the small attic room and props the door open.

Frantically, he calls out again from the stairs before returning to the girl.

"Sara?" He calls out cupping her face to look at him.

She was out cold. Her eyes weren't going to budge open.

"Did you find-" Malcolm begins before stepping into the room.

Malcolms eyes shift to Sara and imediately his heart begins to race. Her complexion was more white. Her body was curled up and her lips were slightly blue.

He wraps his arms around her, puting one arm under her knees and the other around her waist. He hoists her up into his arms before hurriedly going to the bedroom. Lucien followed behind.

Malcolm went straight to the bathroom and placed her on the floor. His hands went for her robe pulling the material off of her.

"Start the bath, warm water, not too hot," Malcolm orders.