Chapter 21

"Long ago, there was a Chinese God named Bái (white) and he was married to a Chinese Goddess named Hēi (black). The husband and wife ruled all over China. In time, the couple grew lonely and wanted children to continue their legacy. The wife birthed a little daughter with a head full of hair and a strong set of lungs. Although the husband yearned to have a son, he welcomed his daughter into the world and named her Lǜ (green) after the vibrant color of a jade jewel. Her loud cries, beautiful eyes, and strong grip, reminded him of the aesthetic beauty and hardness of jade. As a gift to their daughter, the god and goddess gave her the keys to the city of Guangzhou. However, Bái yearned to have a son to call his own and continue the family legacy. A few decades after the birth of their daughter Lǜ, the couple welcomed into the world a bouncing baby boy. After seeing the bouncing baby boy, the goddess named him Hóng (red), for when she looked at the bouncing baby boy, the goddess only saw strength and good luck akin to the hue of a red dragon. As a gift to their son, the couple gifted him with the keys to the city of Beijing. The couple lived happily together with their beautiful children for a few years without any trouble. Unfortunately, nothing that's good can last always. A fellow god named Hēi'àn (darkness) was jealous of the Bái's and Hēi's prosperity and power. He wanted to become the Emperor over all of the Gods. The god knew that Bái would never give up his power and would give the role of Emperor of the Gods to his first son, Hóng (red). After tha, Hóng would pass down this title and power to his first born son and the legacy would continue on that way for the rest of history. Going mad with his thirst for power, the god cursed Hóng so he would never be able to have children. Bái and Hēi were sad that their son would never have children to continue the legacy. However, a century later the couple was blessed with another son. Being blessed with a second son that would be able to reproduce heirs, the couple named this son Huáng (yellow). After seeing many brave human emperors rule with such power and grace while wearing the color yellow, the couple saw it fit to name him Huáng. After all, eventually he would become the Emperor of the Gods. Like with their other two children, the couple gifted their youngest with the keys to the city of Shànghǎi (Above the sea). However, Hēi'àn cursed the water surrounding the city to swallow Shànghǎi whole whenever there was rain, hurricane, or tsunami. Huáng knew that he could not rule a city without help from someone or something. Huáng decided to befriend a goddess named Hǎi (sea). Huáng offered to give Hǎi and her family the blessing of the royal family in exchange that she would calm the sea and allow him to access to it. Hǎi agreed and from this agreement a friendship blossomed between the god and goddess. As time went on, the Huang family was no longer the governmental guidance in Shànghǎi, nonetheless, their presence was still felt within the city. The Huáng family continued to have an immense amount of influence over the politics, economics, and relationships in Shanghai. And as legend has it, the Huáng family still has access to the sea with the help and blessings of the Hǎi family." Kevin finished up the story and took a sip of his tea.

"I'm confused...how does this story help with our situation?" Day asked, puzzled. "You can't just outright tell us how it connects with Lei, Bo, and us,? Ni Ni asked, pointedly irritated. "No, for I am bound by tradition and loyalty. Contrary to Americans, Chinese people take traditions and loyalty very seriously. If I were to tell outsiders explicitly about the importance of this tale to present day China, I would betray my very own people." Kevin said while looking at us. "I feel like this is some Jacob and Bella type of Twilight shit. Remember how he couldn't tell Bella he was a werewolf, but he told about the legend behind his origins" I said, frustrated, looking at Day, Kevin, and Ni Ni. We sat there for a while in silence. How does this story fit in to all of this shit? Just as I was about to give up I remembered when Lei and I were together at the Yu Garden overlooking the water. "It's in my blood. My last name is Hǎi which means sea." The memory faded as soon as it popped into my head. "Hold up, hold up, hold the hell up. I need to figure this shit aloud. Hmmm, back to your story. Hǎi was the goddess of the sea that helped Huáng. And according to this 'legend', the Huáng family continues to have access to the sea with the help of the Hǎi family, correct?" I asked Kevin. He nodded his head. "Lei's last name is Hǎi. He told me that his last name translates to sea. So, ummm, this would make him 'related' to the goddess in the story. So, does this mean his family has some type of control of the sea?? Maybe, like, the boats that enter or exit out of Shanghai. But...how does this story connects Lei to the mafia...?" I asked Kevin. "That I cannot tell you. It's getting pretty late. You ladies should get some sleep. There are a few spare bedrooms for you to pick from." Kevin said while standing up and walking out of the room. I knew that he wasn't going to return because the matter had been dismissed. "Well, I guess we should go to sleep, our flight leaves at 9 am." Ni Ni said while heading to the stairs. I followed behind her feeling extremely drained, like a wet sponge that has been wrung dry.