Chapter 22

"Wakeup Ty!" Day said while opening up the curtains. The soft sunlight was streaming through the window. "What time is it?" I asked Day. "7:30 am. Don't worry, Ni Ni checked the status of our flight and it was delayed by two hours. It doesn't leave until 11:30 am. Kevin said he's going to take us to the airport around 8:30 am." she replied. "So that gives us about 30 minutes to kill before we have to get up and get dressed? Go get Ni Ni. I have some stuff to tell the both of you." I said to her. A few minutes later, Day returned to my room with Ni Ni trailing behind. They both sat down on the bed. "I was thinking about the story that Kevin told us last night. I remember having a conversation with Lei and how he explained the origins behind his family's last name. Clearly, his family have some connection with the sea. Remember when him and Bo went to Beijing for business? This may be a far stretch, but what if the story Kevin told us is true? What if the Huang family still exist and have power in Shanghai and what if Bo and Lei went to handle some business for the family? The Huang family could be some type of mafia....and Lei coild have ties to them. What are mafias known for?" I asked while looking at Ni Ni and Day. "Um...murder, guns, and drugs." Ni Ni responded. How could Lei and Bo help out the Huang family? "Sea. Huang. Drugs." I repeated those three words in my head over and over again. Shit, I got it. "Damn, how could I be so fucking stupid?! What if Lei is helping the Huang family bring drugs, or whatever, into Shanghai through boats and the sea ports?? Lei's family has influence over the sea and the Huang family has influence over Shanghai!" I yelled, excited by my discovery. "Okay...,but where do the Greeks fit into all of this Ty? It's not that I don't believe you, there are just still a lot of missing pieces to the puzzle." Day said and Ni Ni nodded her head in agreement. Before I could respond to their comment Kevin walked into the room. He put his fingers up to his lips signaling us to be quiet, then put the phone on speakerphone. "My bad Bo. I'm putting on clothes so I had to take the phone away from my ear for a minute. What were you saying?" Kevin said into the phone. "I was saying that Lei and I wanted to take the girls out for breakfast, but they're not here. I was wondering if they were with you or they had an early flight?" Bo asked, blandly monotone. "I remember Day telling me yesterday that the girls were going to get an early start and go out for breakfast and go on one last tour before leaving today. She said their flight wasn't until tonight." Kevin lied smoothly. "Damn, I was hoping you were with them because Lei really wanted to see Ty before she left." Bo said. "Yup, I would say check the Starbucks near their apartment. You know American girls love coffee! Bo, I have to go I have a business call coming in on the other line. If you hear anything from Ni Ni or Ty, tell them to tell Day to text me." Kevin replied. " Okay..." Bo said while hanging up. "They're looking for you ladies and if what Ty is saying is true, they will not give up looking for you, so the safest thing to do right now is to board your flight. Hurry up and get ready, we leave in 15 minutes." Kevin in a sad, but caring voice.

  The ride to the airport was sad and quiet. Quiet because no one knew what to say, sad because we were about to leave Shanghai and go back to our less than average lives at home. Although my trip ended on a bad note, I do not regret taking this trip at all. At the airport, Kevin and Day took a couple minutes saying goodbye which consisted mainly of hugs and googly eyes. Damn, at least someone was happy. Ni Ni and I looked away from them. Ni Ni and I were on the same vibe- sad and hurt. We were supposed to be saying our affectionate goodbyes to Bo and Lei, but that would never happen now. Once we e boarding the plane, Day told us about her goodbyes with Kevin. "So, as crazy as this sounds, Kevin suggested that we keep in touch and try the whole friendship thing out. He said he comes to the United States roughly four months out of the year for business reasons and to visit family. The next time he is coming is in November for Thanksgiving and he is staying until New Years. His family lives in Denver, so he is either coming to Cleveland or I am going to go to Colorado" she said blushing. Ni Ni gave her a sad smile. I knew that Ni Ni was happy for Day, but she was also sad about Bo. I didn't respond at all because I had so much on my mind. A few minutes later the plan took off from the runway. "Passengers will remain seated for the first hour. There's a storm we have to past through right of the coast of Shanghai." a stewardess said from the front of the plane. As I looked out of the window, I saw that the water was calm and almost a pitch black color. "The calm before the storm..." I thought to myself. Looking back down at the disappearing Shanghai skyline and pitch black water surrounding the city, I knew it wouldn't be long before I was staring deep into the eye of the sea again.