Chp. 5: Truths Revealed and Missing

"This must have happened the same time the girls were being chased." Starchild concluded. We were near one of the gifts shops. The glass of open of the windows to the store room was broken.

"They must have used the window to get in." The security guard from earlier was here too. That statement caught my attention. The glass was all wrong.

"No they didn't." They all turned to me.

"What?"

"They didn't use the window to break in, they used it to get out." I moved carefully toward the window. "If they broke the window to get in, the majority of the glass would be inside. Not out here on the ground."

"She's right." As Catman said that, something caught my attention on the ground next to the door. I knelt down, picked it up, and examined it.

"What is it?" Ace asked. I didn't answer him. I looked up at the door and examined the lock. 

"Do these doors automatically lock?" I asked. I turned my head toward the guard.

"Yes they do. Why?" I look at the lock and the window.

"Do you have the keys?" He nodded and gave them to me. I opened the door and looked at the lock on the other side to see no scratches like on the other side of the door knob.

"Avery?" I heard Thorn call from the other side. I came out.

"Lock picks." I said out of the blue. They looked at me blankly. "Whoever broke in used lock picks. But they didn't realize the door locks automatically. So once they were done taking what they wanted they found the door locked. They panicked and broke the window to get out, picked up the lock picks." I held the lock pick. "And ran."

"Wow. You found that all out with only this?" The guard was dumbfounded. I just nodded. I handed the tool and keys to the guard. He walked into the room. I looked at the guys. They just looked at me amused. I smiled until I noticed Thorn was walking away.

"Thorn?" I called to her like she did to me a minute ago. I looked at Ace and then ran after her. I could hear them after me. "Thorn!" She had turned the corner and disappeared. Once we finally caught up to her, she was in the same place we saw the bear.  She was knelt down. I came up behind her. "What is it?"

"Stage effects." She stood up and showed me her hand. There was a colored residue on her hand. "It's the same stuff that we use."

"What do you mean 'we use'?" We looked at the guys when Demon asked.

"Oh! They don't know." I looked at Thorn as I said that.

"I'm in a band with two other girls. We're called The Hex Girls." She explained to them while examining the powdery residue.

"Really? You're one of The Hex Girls?" Catman asked.

"Yeah. I'm the guitarist." She turned toward us.

"I though you looked familiar." Catman said. We got a sample of the substance and was on our way back to the stage area when my phone went off. I jumped because this the first time it's gone off in hours. I took it out to see it was my Aunt Torilie. I stopped to answer.

"Hello?" I said into the phone. My sudden voice made Spaceman look back at me.

"Aver? Where are you? I know I told you to go out but I haven't heard from you." 

"Sorry Aunt Torilie. I've just been a bit..." I paused to see everyone looking at me. "A bit busy."

"Do you know when your going to be home?"

"No I don't but don't worry. I'm with friends."

"What friends hun? Do I know them?" I rolled my eyes at her protectiveness.