Ch. 11: Shouldn't Have Left

"Well this is nice." Demon groaned as we walked through the city. There was damage throughout the town from the lion that Gabriel had conjured. I took a big breath as I saw a child sitting next to her mother. They were not crying but you could see the look of fright on their face.

"Why would he do something like this? To his own hometown?" Thorn said from next to me. Cat looked back at us. He was about to say something when I did instead.

"Why would anyone of the villains we have faced in the past do what they had done? It didn't matter if it was their hometown, they didn't care as long as they got back at the people that they think wronged them?" I said whiling turning to look at her. She nodded and turned forward.

"You all need to go after him." The Elder said from behind us. "Before he causes anymore damage."

"Of course." Starchild said. We made it to where they ship was. "Thorn, Avery. You two should stay behind. Who knows how dangerous this could get and with Gabriel already wanting to take out Avery...we can't take any chances."

"What?" Thorn exclaimed.

"But...I am the one who saw..." Ace stepped up to me. He set his hands on my arms.

"Please. I don't want to chance losing you." He said. I looked into his eyes and caved. I nodded and he smiled small. He wrapped his arms around me waist. I returned with mine around his neck.

"Come back." I whispered. He pulled back slightly.

"I would never leave you like that." He whispered back. He gently grabbed my cheek and pulled me into a kiss. He pulled away and stepped back. With a sad smile, his aura grew and he flew up onto the ship. They took off in the direction the lion ran off.

"Child, they will return." The Elder set a hand on my shoulder.

"I know. I am just not sure if that will be dead or alive." I said in a shaking voice as the ship disappeared into the distance. We turned and walked back toward the Warrior's Hall. Thorn wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"They'll be okay. They know what they're doing." She held me tight. The Elder led us to a private lounge area.

"You two are free to use this area as you choose. You are welcome to explore the city as well but mind yourselves of the threats." We nodded and she left. I walked out of Thorn's grip and to the window. I sighed.

"Something feels off. Like they should not have left." I said to her. I heard her acknowledge but did not say anything else. I sat down on the couch and lent back. I closed my eyes and slowly fell asleep.

~Dream/Vision~

Laughing. Laughing was all I heard in the blackness of the room. I could feel binds on my hands and a tight cloth around my eyes.

"You were right Miss Avery. They shouldn't have left." I heard Gabriel's voice. The cloth was ripped from my head. I blinked at the sudden light. I looked up and saw Gabriel. He had a sickening smile on his face.

"What?" I pulled at the bonds that held my hands behind my back. He laughed again.

"Prepare yourself Avery. The worst has yet to come." He raised his hand and light encircled it. I started to backup. He shot his hand forward, shooting the light in my direction.

"AHH!"

~End Dream/Vison~

"AHH!" I shot and fell off the couch. I landed on my stomach and groaned. I pushed up onto my fore-arms and shook my head. I looked up and saw the room dark. I looked to the window and saw it was night. "Thorn!" No answer came. "Thorn? Are you here?" I got up and walked into the middle of the room.

"She's not here." I froze at the sound of his voice. A faint glow came from behind me. I slowly turned and saw Gabriel leaning against a door jam. He was looking at a light orb in his hand. "She went out a little while after you fell asleep."

"What are you doing here?" I whispered. I backed up slowly.

"Well, I think it's obvious. I mean..." He pushed off the door. He took a few steps toward me. "You have seen the past. You ought to be able to figure out the future." My breathing grew heavy. I started to look around for a weapon.

"You won't win." His expression turned to one of humor and laughed out loud. "KISS will..."

"KISS! They are out there on a wild goose chase. Well a wild lion chase. They won't be any help." He shouted. I finally saw a metal box on a nearby table. "Avery." He sang out. I saw him reaching out.

"Don't touch me!" I grabbed the box and threw it at him. I heard him grunt in pain as I ran for the door. I grabbed the handle and struggled to get it open.

"Ahh! Avery! You won't get away!" I saw him run my way and finally got the door open. I threw it and dodged threw just as a light orb exploded against the door. I ran out the way the Elder show us. I could hear him screaming behind me.

"Ace!" I screamed out as I made it outside. The streets were empty and quiet. I took off in a random direction. I ran and ducked behind a corner. I tried to catch my breath as I listened for him.

"You can't hide forever." I heard and peeked out. Gabriel was in mid-air with orange aura around him. He looked around and flew off to his right. I took in a big breath and ran for it again. I ran for a few minutes before I heard a familiar voice.

"Avery!" I turned and saw Thorn with the Elder behind her. I stopped and smiled. She returned but then her face dropped. "Look out!" I whipped around and saw him.

"I told you Avery." He landed right in front of me. I tries to back up but he grabbed me by the arms. "Now. You're coming with me."

"Gabriel! Let her go!" The Elder commanded. He turned me around and pulled me tight against him with one arm around my throat. They stood a few meters in front of us. "You will let her go Gabriel. You have not a chance."

"Don't I?" His grip tightened and I struggled against him. He looked at me and ran a hand down the side of my face. "You're Guardians are who knows where and I have the device. Once I unleash my new found power and destroy KISSteria, I will have my revenge. And maybe a prize of my own." He said while continuing to look at me.

"You're insane!" Thorn screamed. Gabriel just laughed.

"Maybe. But that will not make any difference. Now..." He removed his arm and flung me over his shoulder with a cry from me. "If you'll excuse us." He took off into the air.

"Ahh!" I screamed. "Ace!"

Spaceman's POV

We had chased the lion for hours by now and had yet to find anything. There was no sign of Gabriel. I was beginning to think that we were tricked.

"We are on a wild goose chase." Catman said out loud.

"I second that." I commented. "Something feels off about this whole thing." The ship stopped and the others started to talk.

"Gabriel must have set this up to get us away from the city." Demon growled.

"That's probably the case. We are even farther than the Destroyer's mountain." Star said and I turned back in the direction of the city. "It is also possible he is out here..." His voice and the surrounding sounds fell from my ears. It was replaced by a faint voice. I couldn't quite hear what it said.

"Do you hear that?" I said. The guys stopped and listened. I looked at them and they shook their heads. The voice became louder by the second. Then all of a sudden I could hear it clear as day.

"Ace!" I heard Avery's terrified voice scream. My body went rigid.

"Avery..." I breathed out.

"Spaceman? What is it?" Star called to me.

"I just heard Avery scream. Don't ask me how but I did. We need to get back to the city and now." He nodded and the ship turned in that direction. "We're coming Avery."