Ch. 14: New Found Confidence

I never felt the pain of the blast. Instead heard a grunt come from in front of me. I opened my eyes to see Ace standing in front of me instead of Gabriel. He looked livid. I glanced over to the right and saw Gabriel struggling to get to his feet.

"You will not touch her ever again." Ace growled out. Gabriel was finally able to make it to his feet.

"Oh really. Then I should let you know of the little moment we shared just earlier..." Ace shot him with a lightning bolt, sending him flying. Ace quickly came over and untied the binds, lifting me off the ground.

"Ace." His arms held me tight against him.

"Please tell me he didn't touch you." He said into my hair.

"No he didn't. Not in that way at least." He pulled back slightly. He eyed me until his eyes landed on my probably bruised neck. He reached up and brushed his fingertips across it. His gaze hardened again, turning toward the culprit.

"Is she okay?" The other three landed.

"He's not going to be." Ace growled. He went to charge at Gabriel but was held back by Demon. He fought against his grip but got nowhere. Paul came over and checked me over.

"I'm okay, I'm okay." I assured him. My eyes never leaving Ace. "He has, has." I choked up. Ace finally calmed a bit and looked at me. Demon let go slightly and Ace came over to me.

"He has what?" Cat asked softly. I held onto Ace. I took a big breath before telling them.

"He's used the Krystal. He has an army of creatures, animals he's created by the device." I told them. A flash catch my attention. "Look out!" I pulled Ace down and the others moved as a light flew over us.

"You imbeciles." Gabriel yells. He stood about 50 meters away. We stood back up and looked at him. "You've made things all the more fun! Coming to me, to my playground."

"You need to revisit your definition of fun, Gabriel." Catman yelled back.

"Why? I'm having fun so there's no need to waste the time." Gabriel laughed until a loud bang was heard outside. Ace moved in front of me and I grabbed tightly onto his shoulder and arm.

"Reinforcements." Starchild said lowly. Other KISSterians started to filter into the large room, landing next to us. I saw out of the corner of my eye, Gabriel grew restless.

"You think all your friends will stop me?" He laughed. "I have my own reinforcement's boys." He held his arms out as a set of doors opened behind him. Animals made from nothing but light and shadow came through.

"Holy..." Murmurs could be heard from the KISSterian's while growls, howls, and other sounds came from the others. As the room filled, Ace gently pushed me back, farther from the danger. I kept backing up through the crowd.

As everyone else was standing strong against the demon animals, I finally made it to the back of the ground. Gabriel was laughing at the guys, thinking he had won. I glanced off to the side where I saw the light from all the auras. I saw the gyro sphere krystal device.

"The Krystal." I whispered. When Ace tackled Gabriel it must have been knocked out of his pocket. Slowly, I started to make my way towards it. As I moved, I looked back at Gabriel to see him reach into his pocket. His expression changed. He started to scrounge through his pockets, coming up with nothing.

"The device." He yelled and looked across the room. I saw his gaze find the Krystal. "There!" Without a second thought I darted for it. At the same time, one of the animals darts as well. I got to it first but was nearly hit by the animal before I was able to grab it. I ducked and it flew over me.

"Ahh!" It landed but before it could try and attack again, it was hit with a tornado and throw into oblivion. Without finding out who helped me, I grabbed the device off the ground and ran. "Get that brat!"

"Avery!!" I heard Ace yell at the same time as Gabriel but did nothing to stop. I bolted from the room and maneuvered the halls. I ran through the building until I found an exit. I stopped and looked around. A howl caused me to jump and run toward an old looking concrete structure.

"Hurry!" I tell myself. I made it to the structure, jumping behind it. I found a door and was able to pry it open and hid inside. I sat inside, pressed firmly against the wall. I quietly caught my breath.

"Go!"

"Don't let them outside the perimeter!" I could hear fighting start outside. I looked around once my breathing was under control. I slowly got up and walked around. It seemed like a reinforced security bunker. I walked up the stairs I found only to nearly fall down them when there was a loud thud on the wall next to them.

"Oh my god!" I threw my hand over my mouth. I got my footing and walked up. I found an observance office. I saw the fighting outside and gasped. KISSterians were being throw and beat by the animals. In the distance, I could see the guy's auras in the sky as well as Gabriel's.

"Fall back!" I heard someone yell. I blanched at the fighting and slid down the wall next to me. I pulled my knees up to my chest and look at the device. I took a breath.

"How do you work?" I asked out loud. I closed my eyes in concentration and held the object tight. I kept my breathing even despite the turmoil outside. Slowly, the sounds melted away and surroundings changed. I knew what to do.

"Avery!" My eyes shot open at the call of my name. It was Ace. I got up and walked down and out of the building. With a new found confidence, I walked in the direction I somehow knew Gabriel was in.

"She's over here!" I heard someone yell. A blue glow flew by and landing next to me.

"Avery. You're walking right towards him. You need to leave." He grabbed my arm and tried to direct me back. I pulled myself free.

"No, Ace. Look around. We losing." He looked around, face tense. "I'm the only one outside of Gabriel that knows how to stop this." He turned to me quickly.

"What? How?" I smirked and place a finger on my temple.

"I see things remember. I saw how." I held up the device. "I'm the only one. But need to face him and I will need a spark to ignite this."

"Avery." He was reluctant. I set my hand on his face.

"I can do this. I know you'll protect me if something happens."

"I've already failed at that twice." He said in desperation.

"Third times the charm." I whispered. He took a breath and nodded. I smiled and continued my trek to Gabriel with Ace at my side. The other three joined us.

"Ace..." Ace held up his hand to Star. An unspoken conversation happened between them and Star nodded. I finally spotted Gabriel.

"Gabriel!" I screamed out. He turned toward me. He had a furious look on his face.

"You!"

"Me." I replied. He looked surprised for a split second. He smirked and landed and few meters in front of me. "This ends now."

"Brave, but you don't even know work it. How are you supposed to stop this?" He yelled and motioned to the fight.

"Don't be so sure." He looked at me in confusion. "I see things, understand things in an instant while it takes everyone else more time. I know how to use it." I enunciated when I spoke 'know'.

"No." He whispered. I lifted the device into the air. In the next moment, a bolt of lightning struck it and it came to life in my hand. "NO!!"