Chapter 7

12/03/84

"Erica please get out" Lucas said.
"Naha" Erica said.
"Yes" Lucas said and started to push her out of his room. He closed his door right in her face.
"Next time, we're at your house" Lucas said. Max gave him a sad look and he knew exactly why. "I'm sorry. I know your brother hates me"
"He doesn't hate you. He just...dislikes you hanging out with me" Max said.
"No no no, your brother hates me and...it's obvious why..." Lucas said.
"Is it?" Max asked.
"Yeah, cause I'm black" Lucas said.
"What? I just thought he was overprotective. I didn't know. I'm so sorry Lucas" Max said and put down the comic.
"It fine. I'm used to it" Lucas said and looked down.
"No, no it's not" Max said. Lucas looked up at her.
"No one should be treated a different way because of their skin color" Max said.
"Max..." Lucas said. "It's been this way all my life. I don't even care anymore"
"I-I'm..." Max didn't know what to say.
"You're the first white girl to actually like me. Except El but she doesn't really count" Lucas said.
"Really?" Max said and grinned.
"Yeah. Everyone thinks I'm ugly or dirty or gross or dumb or mean. None of the other girls would even consider talking to me" Lucas said. Max still didn't know what to say. She stared into his deep dark eyes. "The first time I tried talking to a girl she screamed. And that was in kindergarten. When I tried to make a friend once his mom screamed at me and took the boy away from me. That was in first grade. Then I met Mike and Will who was the only people in school that didn't treat my like shit. And later Dustin. I'm called Moonlight by Troy and his friends-"
"Who's Troy?" Max asked.
"Our bully" Lucas said. "I haven't seen him since you came" They both sat quiet for a while.
"The first girl to like me was Kira Starew" Lucas said after a while.
"In our class?" Max asked with a little smile but he could still se the little drop of jealousy in her eyes.
"Yeah" Lucas answered.
"Well she's pretty" Max said. "Why don't you go out with her?"
"She's got a crush on a white boy..." Lucas said. "So I guess we're in the same boat."
"Guess you are" Max said. They smiled at each other for a while.
"You know..." Lucas said. "People will treat you like trash. They probably saw us kissing and dancing yesterday so don't be surprised if they're mean to you"
"Then let them be" Max said like it was nothing.
"I don't think you really understand. These people can be really really mean. Especially Troy." Lucas said with his worried face.
"No I don't understand. And I probably never will but if getting bullied is the price of being with the most amazing person in this town then I'll take it" Max said and smiled.
"Awe you've gotten soft, Mad Max" Lucas said.
"I was talking about Dustin, Stalker" Max said.
"Yeah right" Lucas said and leaned in to kiss Max on the cheek but she turned her head so their lips met. They were both smiling agains each other's lips.
"I really like you, Mad Max" Lucas said as they pulled away from their short innocent kiss.
"I really like you too, Stalker" Max said. She left his house late that night and went straight home to bed.