Chapter 14

12/09/84

Max decided to skate to school this morning. She couldn't even look at Billy. She was too scared of him even though he acted like nothing had happened.

The schoolyard was empty when she reached school. She was there 20 minutes before first class started. The boys usually arrived 10 minutes before class started. Max decided not to wait and walk to her locker.

Max was so tired. Her eyes was puffy and red. She had been awake for 48 hours. She found everything annoying. The sound of the few people there was in school opening their lockers. The teachers talking in the classrooms. The sounds of the school bus park outside the school. Even the sound of her own feet walking on the floor. Her brain was jumping trough thoughts and memories, bad memories. She wrested her head agains her locker when she finally reached it.
As the time went the sound got louder and more. The sound of the students talking and all the lockers opening and closing. It was all too much.
"Max" she heard Lucas say. Normally the thought of turning around and hugging him in school would never pass her mind but today it was all that she wanted. So she did.
"Woah" Lucas said and then rapped his hands around her. He knew PDA wasn't her thing but it seemed like she really needed it right now.
"Are you okay?" Lucas asked and pulled away.
"Yeah" Max said.
"So we're all meeting at the arcade tonight. You're coming, right?" Lucas asked.
"Yeah" Max said.
"Good"
"Hey Max" a guy said and walked pass them.
"Hi Theo" Max said tiredly.
"Who's that?" Lucas asked.
"Theo" Max said.
"Okay...?" Lucas asked like he wanted a further explanation.
"So I can't say hi to other guys because I'm dating you?" Max asked annoyed. Lucas was surprised at her sudden annoyance.
"No I didn't say that" Lucas tried to say as calm as possible.
"Yes you did!" Max said.
"No-" Lucas said but Max cut him off.
"You're so annoying" She said and walked away with angry steps.
She was lucky that she didn't have any classes with him that day. Or any other of the boys. And that she wasn't hungry so she could pass lunch.

She decided that she had to talk to them. She couldn't ignore the only friends she had, so she decided to meet them at the arcade.

When she walked in trough the big doors her blue eyes instantly met a couple of dark brown ones.
His eyes had the look of sadness.

She walked straight towards him and took his hand without saying anything. Then she looked over at him like she was saying sorry. Her apology was accepted with a slight squeeze. The other guys were too focused on watching Dustin play Dig Dug to notice.