Chapter 25

12/25/84
"DAD!" Max said and run to hug her dad.
"Hi baby! Merry Christmas" her mom had left her at the airport in Indiana and he promised to pick her up in California. "How are? Haven't your mother been feeding you?" he said with a smile and looked at his daughter.
"I've missed you so much dad, i have so much to tell you!" Max said and hugged him again.
"I have quite a lot to tell you too" he said and turned towards a lady with blonde hair.
"Hi Max, i've heard so much about you" The last said and hug Max. She had a sweet scent. "My name is Delilah, but you can call me Lilah".
"I'm so happy you decided to come here Max!" Mr Mayfield said and hugged her daughter again. "Now, let's get home. There's someone waiting for you there".
Max wondered the entire car ride who could be waiting for her. As she looked at waves in the water she realized how much she'd actually missed California. Hawkins was nothing against this. She'd trade the mystery filled town against constant heat every day.
"You missed it?" Lilah asked.
"Uh huh" Max said and smiled.
"I'll start making christmas food as soon as we get home, is that okay?" Lilah asked, she'd obviously noticed the bones on Max's body.
"Yes, thank you" Max answered.
When they reached the house Max ran straight to her old room. Everything was still there. The posters on the walls, the pillows on the bed and even some clothes in the drawer.
"Max, come down here. there's somebody who'd like to say hi!" her dad shouted.
"Coming!" Max said back.
She walked down the stairs and instantly saw a tan boy in a blue tank top, bathing shorts and a pair of flip flops.
"Chad!" Max said and run into his arms.
"Hi Max!" Chad said. His voice had gotten a lot darker since the last time she saw him and he'd grew a lot in just a few months.
"How are you? How's Hawkins?"
"Dark. Cold" Max said. "How've you been?"
"I'm doing okay. My parents decided to get a divorce" he said.
"Oh i'm so sorry, i know what that's like" Max said.
"Max can i take your hoodie? It's 86 degrees" her dad started taking off her hoodie.
"No, it's okay" Max said and backed away.
"Okay" he said. "Well Chad thank you for coming but your family probably wants you home soon"
"Yeah i should go, call me Max" Chad said.
"I will" Max said and Chad left.
"Grandma is coming over tonight so it's the four of us this year, we're not big on holliday's here as you know" he hug her daughter one more time before helping his girlfriend in the kitchen.