Chapter 23

12/19/84

"Hey Lucas" Dustin shouted as Lucas arrived at the school.
"Hello" Lucas waved at them.
"Should we go?" Mike asked. Everyone had arrived at their bikes and were ready to go inside.
"Yes" Dustin said and started walking towards the entrance.
"Wait, what about Max?" Will asked.
"She's- it's not a thing anymore" Lucas said.
Will got mad at Lucas. How could he be this stupid?

Max got a little late to school this morning. She had skated since she couldn't even be close to Billy. But when she arrived at school, the bells hadn't rang yet. Still there was no sight of Lucas, or the other boys, by the bikes. No one came towards her to give her a god morning hug.
When she got to the classroom everyone was already inside. She tried her hardest not to make eye contact with the guys. The entire class she stared at Lucas. Wishing he would turn around and look at her too, instead Will turned around. He gave her a faint smile but she just looked away.
While the teacher explained something Max's eyes slowly shut and didn't open until someone woke her up.
"Max" someone touched her arm. It was Will. "Wake up, class has ended"
"Sorry" Max said and shot up from her seat. She got her books and walked out the door.
"I'm sorry about Lucas, he's so stupid" Will said.
"Whatever" Max answered.
"No, not whatever. He really is. But it wasn't really his choice, Dustin and Mike kinda made him do so" Will said.
"Well he wouldn't have done it unless he wanted to" Max said.
Will was following her towards her locker.
"Max-" Suddenly Max stopped and turned to look at Will.
"Look, you don't have to do this. Go hang out with your friends instead" Max said and walked away.
Will stood still for awhile and looked at her. Then he saw the purple marks on her neck but he figured she already knew it looked like that and she didn't need a reminder.
He decided to go back to the guys.
"Where have you been?" Lucas asked.
"Uh...the toilet" Will answered.
"Are you okay?" Mike asked.
"Yeah" Will answered.
"Okay so look, Will, there's a new movie out called 'Gremlins' and I think we should rent it and watch it at Mike's house tonight. Maybe El can come too." Dustin said.
"What about Max?" Will asked.
"I told you, it's not a thing anymore" Lucas said.
"Yeah but she's still our friend" Will said.
They were all quiet for a couple of seconds.
"No, it's like bro code number one" Dustin said.
"Yeah if someone in our group breaks up with their girlfriend, or boyfriend, we take each other's side. You can't side with Max" Mike said.
"I'm not siding with her, but i don't wanna loose a friend because all of you are dumb" Will said.
"Whatever, we can invite her. She's not gonna show up anyways" Lucas said.

Will had asked Max to come, but she didn't. While the rest of the party were watching a movie at Mike's house, Max were, once again, waiting for those heavy steps towards her bedroom door which had become a daily routine now.

———————————
I'm on vacation in spain right now so expect many many chapters🤭