Chapter 34

01/29/85

"Maxine" Max heard from outside her door. "Maxine" she heard again.
"What?" Max asked.
"Me and your mom's going away all weekend. Don't invite your "friend", don't even hang out with him. Hang out with other white kids. Or your brother" Neil said sharply.
Fuck you, Max thought.
"Maxine" Neil said again.
"Fine, bye" Max said.
She quickly got out of bed and got dressed. She heard the sound of Billy's radio in the background and decided to climb out the window so she didn't have to risk meeting him.
Neil and her mom had given her a yellow bike for christmas, probably just to impress her dad. But Max used it to escape from the house and to ride to her favorite stalker's house.
She saw Hopper's car and El getting out of it outside of Mike's house. Max waved to El who didn't wave back. She didn't think more about it since they still weren't friends. Instead she walked into Lucas' driveway and knocked on the door.
"Hello Max" Lucas' mom said as she opened the door.
"Hi Mrs. Sinclair" Max said back.
"Come in, come in" she said after she shouted for Lucas to come down and left space for Max to walk in.
"How are you?" Mrs Sinclair asked.
"I'm fine" Max answered. Max was never fine anymore.
"Well that's good, did you have a good break?"
"Yes, it was very fun. I visited my dad in California" Max answered with a smile on her face.
"Oh that's very fun" Lucas' mom said. "Was it worm over there?"
"Yeah" Max said.
"Max" Lucas said happily. He was not at all surprised even though Max hadn't told him she was coming. It was just a quiet promise, whenever Max needed him he was there for her.
He hugged her tightly.
"What are you two going to do today?" Mrs Sinclair asked.
"Mom" Lucas said.
"Oh sorry, I'm leaving" she said and left the hall to go to the kitchen.
"Come on, let's go up to my room" Lucas said.
"Keep the door open!"
"Mom!" Lucas shouted.
Max laughed under her breath. Even though they shouted at each other, she knew they loved each other, more than anything. That wasn't a promise at her house.
"So what do you want to do?" Lucas asked and sat down on his bed.
She wondered around his room until she found something interesting. There was a men's paper on top of his drawer. On the front was a man dressed in a fancy suit showing of his million dollar clock and symmetrical face.
"What is this?" Max said laughing while holding up the paper.
"Hey, put that down. I need it" Lucas said.
"Need it? Need it for what?" Max asked.
"My muscles" Lucas said. "There's a workout guide on the back"
"Your muscles? I'm not sure what you think muscles are, but those-" Max pointed to his arm, "those are aren't it".
"Shut up" Lucas said irritated while Max laughed.
Max grabbed the comic on his desk and laid down beside him on the bed. He awkwardly laid down beside her, hoping that she wouldn't notice the awkwardness. She definitely did.
"See this, this is what i call muscles" Max said and pointed at one of the X-Men.
She smiled and looked at Lucas who just rolled his eyes at her.
"I've actually been working on them, Max. Compare these to Mike's" He pointed towards his own bicep.
"Well I mean Mike's a stick so that's not fair" Max said and laughed some more.
"You're a stick" Lucas said, it sounded much less mean in his head.
"Whoa thanks" Max said.
"No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that" Lucas said.
"I'm sure you didn't" Max answered.
"I'm really sorry Max" Lucas said.
"Jeez I get it, it's fine" Max said without looking up from the comic.
"Are you sure cause it doesn't seem like it" Lucas said. He knew, from movies and comics, that when girls said something was fine, it definitely wasn't.
"Cause I didn't mean to be mean, you know that. I really like you, i would never say anything to hurt you. I just feel like, lately, you've-"
He was cut off my Max giving him a kiss right on the lips. He was smiling when she pulled away.
"Yes. I'm fine" Max said again. "And for the record, I know I'm a stick but you saying it doesn't exactly make it better".
"I know, I'm sorry. I'm not good at this being-a-boyfriend thing" Lucas said, but shortly after realized what he said.
"Boyfriend?" Max looked at him in surprise and smiled.
"Yeah, I mean, we're back together. Aren't we?" Lucas asked.
His heart pumping harder and louder surprised him but the sweat forming on his hands surprised him even more.
"Yeah we're back together" Max said.
She turned her head towards his comic so that he wouldn't notice how hopelessly in love she was but he could definitely se the smile on her mouth and the redness off her cheeks.

————————
Hello! I just realized i have to write 4 more break ups before 07/04/85 yay.