Chapter 19

(May be a little triggering if you're sensitive about eating disorders).

12/15/84

"You look like crap" Billy said in the car on their way to school.
Max didn't answer him. She didn't even look at him. But what was he expecting? He hadn't talked to her in over a week. Maybe he was ashamed over what happened?
"Did you sleep last night? I swear if that black kid did something to you-" he said irritated.
"I'm fine" Max answered without looking at him. She was filled with anger towards him, but she was still too scared to show him that. She thought everything would be fine after the night at the Byers' house but it had only gotten worse.
"Don't talk to me like that" he said. "Hey! Look at me when i'm talking to you!" he grabbed her wrist. "Woah" he said and inspected it. "My hand could just barely go around it before, now i literally feel the bone".
Max didn't answer him, she just tried to get about of his grasp. She could feel the bruise forming on her arm.
"You need to eat more. Skinny doesn't look good on you" he said and let go of her.

Lucas waited once again for the sound of Billy's car outside of school. He was standing in a circle with the other boys.
"Guess what guys!" Mike said excitedly.
"What?" Dustin asked.
"On Saturday, Hopper will let El out and i figured we could be at my house and play D&D or watch a movie or something." Mike said.
"Sounds great!" Dustin said.
"Yeah I just have to ask mom" Will said.
"Okay. What about you Lucas?" Mike asked.
"Uh" Lucas said. He wasn't really listening to the conversation. "Sure" he said.
"Should we head in?" Dustin asked. The boys started walking.
"What about Max?" Lucas asked.
"She hasn't been with us all week Lucas" Mike said.
"Whatever, we should still wait for her" He said.
Mike sighed, Will walked back to Lucas and Dustin sat down on the ground by the bikes.
"Do you realize how obsessed with her you are?" Mike asked.
"You can't say anything!" Lucas said back with an annoyed voice.
"He's right" Will said.
"Shut up" Mike said.
Lucas finally heard the sound of Billy's car. He saw Max walking out of the car, but it wasn't the same Max he'd fallen in love with a couple of weeks ago.
"Hi Max" he said and hugged her.
She smiled at him, barely, and hugged him back.
"Hello" Dustin said.
"Hey" she looked down at the ground.
"Everyone's gonna be at my house on Saturday, you coming Max?" Mike asked.
"I don't know" Max answered.
They walked into the school just in time for the bell to ring.
Max knew she wasn't coming on Saturday, as did the boys.