Chapter 49

03/13/85

On Monday morning Lucas had greeted Max, who got to school in Billy's car, with a hug. They'd both been smiling widely so the boys understood that they were once again together.
Max had been sitting with them at lunch but she hadn't eaten more than one half of a sandwich. She'd asked the guys if one of them wanted the other half and when everyone else rejected Dustin gladly took it. Lucas protested at first but when Max gave him an irritated look he stopped.
They all had one class together and Mike noticed that Max and Lucas looked at each other basically the entire lesson.
When school ended they went home to El's cabin, the boys on their bikes and Max on her skateboard a little bit behind them. Lucas told the guys to slow down occasionally so they wouldn't loose Max. Mike thought it was weird that Max didn't just sit on the back of Lucas' bike but when he asked Lucas about it Lucas just shrugged and said: "she likes her skateboard better". What Lucas wanted to say was that she's not like El but he figured that could come out in the wrong way.
When they finally reached the cabin El already was waiting on the porch. She greeted Mike with a kiss and everyone else with a hug, except Max who she ignored. But they'd all gotten used to it.
Max instantly laid down on the couch from being so tired. She claimed it was because she skated all the way there but everyone, except Dustin who seemed oblivious to it, knew that wasn't the case. She hadn't eaten, that's why she was tired.
When the clock turned 5 they all started getting tired of what they were doing. Will started walking around in the room, looking for something to do. Dustin laid upside down on the couch while playing with his hat. Mike looked in Hopper's newspaper with El resting on his arm. The only ones who didn't seem bored was Max and Lucas.
They were talking about games and movies, The Karate Kid to be specific, and just everything they could think of.
Everyone around them were surprised, Max and Lucas were never like this. But when Lucas landed a kiss on her cheek in front of everyone they all got suspicious.
"Okay, what happened good old Lumax?" Dustin asked with a red face that he'd gotten from being upside down.
"You can't be the lovey dovey ones! That's us!" Mike said and pointed to him and El, who agreed with a nod and a smile.
"I'm sorry?" Max said, as and excuse but still definitely not an excuse.
"You're never like this" Will said.
"Never kiss" El said.
"We kiss!" Lucas said.
"I've never seen you kiss" Mike said. "Well, except the Snowball but that doesn't even count."
"It counts!" Lucas said, getting all defensive.
"If you say so" Mike said.
"Let's not start an argument about our kissing." Max said.
"What are you saying Mike?" Lucas asked.
"I'm just saying...this is not like you" Mike said.
"Here we go again" Dustin said and put the hat on his face, pretending to sleep.
"So just because we're not like you and El we're less of a couple?" Lucas said. They could all see the anger in his face.
"I never said that!" Mike said. He wasn't exactly angry, he was just frustrated and maybe a little annoyed.
Max was annoyed too, which everyone could tell since she very visibly rolled her eyes.
"I literally just told you not to! You just started a stupid argument just because he's 'invading you manhood'" Max said.
"You can't tell me what to do or not to do all the time! I'm not your child!" Lucas said.
"Sure seems like it" Dustin said.
All eyes went from Max to him, which he didn't notice because of the hat.
"Exactly, you're not." Max said. "I hate always being the one breaking up and storming off but I mean...you deserve it."
Max stormed off.
"Yeah, you did deserve it." Dustin said.
"Did she really just break up with me?" Lucas asked.
"Uh-huh" Mike said from the couch. "Not surprised though."
"Oh crap" Lucas said and grabbed his jacket. "Wish me luck!" he said while running out the door.
"You don't need that anymore" Will said.
"And they're finally back" Dustin said and fell down on the couch next to Will.

"Max!" Lucas shouted at Max.
It had been really easy to find her. Not only because it was still fairly light outside but because her skateboard sounded more than the demogorgan itself.
"Max!" she didn't stop.
Lucas stamped hard on the paddles off his bike and quickly came in front of her. He made a harsh turn, which didn't only make her jump off her skateboard in a high speed but also scream at him so the entire neighborhood could hear.
"What the f*ck?!" Max screamed.
"Well I'm sorry but you wouldn't stop!" Lucas said back.
"Whatever. What do you want?" Max asked.
"To get back together of course" Lucas said. "We only dates for like a couple of hours this time and, even for us, that's embarrassing."
"Well there's nothing else I can do when you're acting stupid" Max said.
"I don't act stupid! It's just you who want me to be more mature than I am!" Lucas said.
"Okay. Calm down" Max said.
She grabbed her skateboard under her arm and got away from the middle of the road to sit on some grass outside someone's house. Lucas got his bike and followed her.
"Max, do you want to be with me or not?" Lucas asked after sitting down. "Cause if you're just gonna keep breaking up with me than maybe it's better if we just don't try."
"Of course I wanna be with you. You're literally the best thing I know." Max said and it made Lucas smile. "But I don't like how you talk to me sometimes. Or how you use me as some kind of prize."
"I don't like when you tell me what to do or want me to act older than I am." Lucas said. "And I want you to talk to me. You can't just run away whenever you get mad."
"Okay. If I start talking to you, instead of breaking up, and accept that you'll be bickering with the guys everyday you will think a bit more of what you say and to who you say it." Max said and put out her hand. "Deal?"
"Deal." Lucas said and shook her hand. "Also, I'm sorry."
"I'm sorry too." Max said.