Chapter 5

11/26/84

It was one week before the Snowball. The party was hanging out at Will's house while listening to 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' on repeat.
"So Max where should we meet?" Dustin asked.
"What?" Max asked.
"Before the Snowball" Dustin asked.
"Oh...I don't know. You decide" Max said watching Lucas as he was dancing along to the song together with El and Will.
"If you don't want to go with me-" Dustin said.
"No no no." Max said. "I'm just not that interested in planning" Dustin went from looking at Max to Lucas and then Max again.
"You should just go alone" Dustin said a little hurt.
"What?" Max asked and looked at him. Mike started listening to their conversation.
"It's your first school dance here. You should be going alone" Dustin said. That was not the real reason he wanted her to go alone. He really wanted to go with Max but he had noticed that she didn't want to go with him. She had her eyes on his best friend.
"Okay..." Max said. She was a little hurt but mostly surprised. Didn't he want to go with her anymore? Didn't he like her?
Lucas had "over heard" their conversation. He was happy because this opened the doors for him but he was very suspicious. He also felt bad for his best friend.
Dustin was laying on Will's bed. At first he didn't smile. He was too deep into his thoughts but when Will fell to the ground his sad face turned to a laughing face. They laughed together for a long while.

"What's everyone wearing?" Will asked.
"Whatever my mom gives me" Mike said.
"Same" Dustin said.
"Yeah my mom just bought a new blazer" Lucas said and let out a loud sight.
"A blue dress" El said.
"Definitely not a dress" Max said.
"El you're coming?" Mike asked.
"I will ask Hop" El said.
"It would be really fun if you came" Mike said.
"Yeah" Will agreed.
"Yes" El said.
"Yeah so fun with two couples sucking faces all night" Dustin said a little annoyed. All of them looked at him. "No I'm just saying. You know, Mike and El is like, yeah and Max likes Lucas and Lucas likes Max so" They were all wondering how he could even manage to say this after just realizing that Max likes his best friend more than him.
Weird stares were going around the room until Mike decided to break the awkward silence.
"Pizza, anyone?" Mike asked.
"Yes!" Will and Lucas said at the same time.
The rest of the night were filled with laughter, sad looks from Dustin, annoyed and confused looks from Max and "love looks" from El and Mike, at each other of course.