Chapter 6

12/02/84

It was the Snowball. Mike, Will and Lucas were sitting around a table waiting for their friends. El would maybe come too.
"Hey guys" Max said as she entered. Lucas had decided not to ask her to the ball. It would be too mean to Dustin, but he was going to dance with her. He had even practiced how to ask her to dance in his mirror at home.
"Hi" everyone said. Max wasn't wearing a dress like she said she wouldn't but she still looked really pretty. She sat down on an empty spot next to Lucas.
Just when Dustin had arrived a slow song was turned on.
Lucas took a deep breath and then turned towards Max.
"Max-" He said. Max turned towards him. "Hey. Um, it's nice right?" Lucas asked . Max looked at him. She knew exactly what was going on. "You want to, um... you want to, like... you know? Like, just you and me?" Lucas smiled nervously.
"Are you trying to ask me to dance Stalker?" Max asked and smiled.
"No, of course not. U-unless you want to?" Lucas said.
"So smooth. Come on" She said and took his hand. He was surprised but couldn't help but smile. She dragged him in to the middle of a crowd and put her hands around his neck. He put his on her waist.
Dustin was hurt by seeing the whole thing going on before his eyes but he already knew before that they liked each other. He decided just to let Max go and not think about his feelings for her anymore.
Max and Lucas were dancing to the song. 'Should I kiss him?' Max thought to herself. 'Yeah I'll do it. In 3 2 1' she thought and leaned in. Lucas was shook when their lips met. He hadn't expected that at all. He knew they liked each other but still.
The kiss was nice though. Her lips were soft and tasted like strawberry chapstick. But it didn't last long at all.
They were both smiling as she pulled away and she put her head down on his shoulder. When the dance was over they walked back to the table were Will and Dustin already was sitting.
"Are you finished sucking faces now?" Dustin mocked them.
"Shut up Dustin" Lucas said and sat down at the table next to Max.
It took Max a while to react to what he was saying.
'Are you done sucking faces' she thought. If he can mock us, does that mean he's over me?
"Will how was your dance with Sarah?" Lucas grinned.
"She's nice" Will said in his usual shy voice.
"She's nice? She's one of the most popular girls! And she's hella cute" Dustin said.
"She really do look fine" Lucas said. Max gave him an angry glare. "Not as fine as you though" he said but she just looked the other way.
"I don't know...she's not really my type" Will said.
"It's not about the looks, it's the personality" Max decided to "share her wisdom" with the boys.
"That's what parents say" Dustin said.
"Oh well they're right" Max said.
"So you're saying I'm ugly?" Lucas said pretending to be hurt.
"You said it, not me" Max said. Lucas pretended to stab a knife in his heart.
"You done sucking faces too?" Dustin asked as he saw Mike and El coming towards their table.
"Shut up Dustin" Mike said.
Both El and Will had to go home about ten minutes after that. Mike decided that if El left, he'd leave too.
Then it was just the three left. They all sat around waiting for Steve.
"So...how was it dancing?" Dustin asked awkwardly. Max gave him a glare and Lucas just ignored him. "I danced with Nancy. All the girls looked at me. It was so cool!"
"That's great, Dustin" Lucas said.
"Yeah" Max agreed. They both knew that Dustin liked Max.