Chapter 43

(May be triggering if you're sensitive about eating disorders.)

02/22/85

Max left the airport not to see her mother's car but her stepbrother's. She didn't know how he'd agreed to this but the bruise she saw on his cheek as sat down in the seat answered that question. He hadn't.
"Hi" Billy said.
"Where's mom?" Max asked.
"Susan and dad aren't home yet. They haven't called since the day you left" Billy said and drive away with Max.
"Do you know when they're coming back?" Max asked.
"I just said they haven't called" Billy said.
"Jeez, sorry" Max said.
They drove in silence for awhile before Billy tried to make it less awkward.
"How's Sam?" Billy asked.
"Good" Max said.
"And his girlfriend?"
"Good" Max answered.
"Well that's good, that it's good" Billy awkwardly looked at her from time to time.
"I guess" Max said.
"So, how are you?" Billy asked.
"Why are you asking? Do you even care?" Max asked.
"I'm your brother-"
"You're not my brother Billy. You don't have to try to be something you're not just because Neil tells you to. It's not like I'm gonna tell him if you're a good stepbrother or not" Max said.
Billy sat quiet for awhile before speaking again.
"He never told me to be a good brother" Billy said. Max noticed how his voice sounded more weak than usual. "I just... this is what we have. And I haven't had a lot. So believe it or not, but this actually means something to me".
Max took in the words he said but she couldn't really believe them. How could he have gone from the asshole she knew to an actually not so shitty person.
"Can you drop me off at Lucas' house?" Max asked.
"Lucas?" Billy asked.
"Yeah, Lucas" Max said.
Billy sighted before turning his car around to drive her to his house. She knew that he didn't like Lucas, who didn't? But the fact that he actually was driving her to his house said a lot. Maybe he had changed. A little bit.
"Here?" Billy asked.
"No, the blue one. Over there" Max said.
"Oh. He's right next to Wheeler?" Billy asked.
"Yeah? What did you think?" Max said.
"I don't know. I didn't know they lived so...nice" Billy said.
"Well, seems like you're opening your eyes a lot today. I'll get home by myself, thanks for picking me up" Max said and got out.
"No problem, sister" Billy said after she left. He sat outside the house for awhile to make sure she got in and then drive away.

"Max!" Mrs Sinclair said as soon as she saw Max. "How was California? How was your dad? How's the weather over there?"
"Mom" Lucas said as he entered the hall.
"Yeah, right. I'm leaving. Nice to see you back Max" she said before leaving for the kitchen.
"It's nice to be back" Max said.
"Hi" Lucas said and pulled her into a hug.
"Hi" Max said back.
"Tell me everything that happened."
"That'll be quick."

———————
I just love Mrs Sinclair. Let me know if you want more Max/Erica and/or more Max/Billy.
Sam is Max's dad's name, I'm pretty sure.