Chapter 40

02/06/85

Max skated home from El's cabin. She'd broken up with Lucas, again. But she knew they would fix it, breaking up wasn't even a big deal anymore. They always got back together anyways. But she was sure that if they ever broke up for real, she wouldn't be able to live.
Her figured moved quickly over the street. The sky had already gone dark but it was only 7pm. The streetlights lit up her way.
When she got home she instantly heard loud music. She knew Billy was home.
She walked in through the front door and saw her mom and stepdad at the kitchen. Billy's door to his room was closed.
Max hurried directly towards her bedroom without saying a word to anyone.
"Hi honey, I didn't know you were home?" Susan said.
"I just got home" Max said and looked at them. Her mom was signing some papers while Neil sat down relaxed on a chair drinking a beer.
"I need to study." she said and left. She slammed her door shut and sat down on her desk.
After hours of looking in her book trying to figure out what the sentences are saying she went to take a shower. When she'd turned it off she heard a loud bang from outside the bathroom. After came Neil's screams.
Instead of ignoring it, like Max usually did, she peeked out her head. Billy was laying on the floor with a hand on his forehead and Neil stood right above him. Susan looked at them, scared.
Without a warning Neil turned his head to look at Max.
"And what are looking at worthless shit?" he said. He was so frustrated that his lip was shaking.
Max just looked at him.
"Can you be useful and help me with this little shit instead of feeling sorry for yourself?" Neil asked and turned towards Billy again.
"Max, go to Lucas' house" Susan said and Max instantly ran towards the door.
She grabbed her skateboard and skated away.
Her feet moved quickly as if she was running away from something, which she technically was.
A sight of relief filled her body as she saw his house.
Every light was turned off so she figured everyone was asleep. She climbed up on the side of the house and through his window.
Max looked at him to see if he was sleeping.
"Hi" he said.
"Hi" Max said as she walked towards his bed.
"I thought we were broken up?" Lucas said from his bed while looking at her.
"Not anymore" Max said and laid down beside him and he closed his eyes while wrapping an arm around her waist.
"Max your hair is wet" Lucas said. "Is it raining?"
"No. I was showering, I had no time to get dry" Max said.
"Why?" Lucas asked.
"Neil was really mad, mom told me to get out of there. So I'm here" Max said. "Can we sleep now?" she asked him.
"Yeah, sure" Lucas said and kissed her cheek before drifting off to sleep.