Chapter 46

03/07/85

The boys, as usual, arrived early at school. They, as usual, waited for Max to arrive on her skateboard. But Max, not as usual, got out of Billy's car and actually said something to him while having a smile on her face.
She walked up to the guys and waved. Her head wasn't down on the ground as usual, it was up high in the air.
All of them noticed how unusual she acted, even Billy looked confused from his car.
"Hey" Lucas said and hugged her and she actually hugged him back.
"What's wrong with you?" Mike asked.
Lucas hit him on the shoulder.
"He meant, why are you so happy today?" Lucas asked.
"I've decided to break up with you." Max said, to Lucas surprise.
"What have I done this time?" he asked.
"Nothing, this time it's a 100% me." Max said, completely serious.
"What do you mean?" Lucas asked. Through their entire relationship Max never agreed to being wrong.
"I think with all that's going on with me, I need to be alone." Max said.
"No, no, no. You're completely wrong. It's now, more than ever, that you need friends and boyfriends around you. Boyfriend. Singular." Lucas said desperate.
Max laughed to herself.
"Considering what happened on Saturday, it's best this way. We can still hang out and all tho." Max said. "See you in math."
She smiled as long as the guys could see her but as soon as she passed them her smile faded away and her normal, incredibly tired and weak, look cane back.
"What the hell" Lucas said as the all looked at her.
"She looked really healthy today though" Mike said.
"Why wouldn't she be?" Dustin asked.
Will, who without anyone telling him, had figured out what was happening with Max, but Dustin on the back of his head. "Ouch!"
Dustin put a hand on his head and the all walked towards the school.
Lucas knew this break up wasn't like the other ones, Max actually had a solid reason to break up with him this time. For Max it was a good reason, for him it was just stupid but it was a reason.
Maybe this time they would stay broken up.

———————
Okay finally just one more to go.