Chapter 1

11/3/84

All the kids were in shock for what happened last night. The kids and the teenagers had skipped school today so they could rest. Especially Will.
Max was still really confused by it all. She was now aware of that there is another world out there. Or down there.
The party spent their day alone so they could rest. Except Mike who went to see El, of course.

"What happened to your face? And where were you all night?" Max's stepdad, Neil, asked her stepbrother.
"I got in a fight and passed out" Billy said.
"Why?" Neil's voice was stern and really loud.
"I was trying to protect Max from a black kid" Billy said without hesitation. Max sat on her bed and her eyes got as big as they possibly could when she heard Neil coming closer to her room. She tried to come up with an idea to get herself out of there before he had reached her room. She took her skateboard and climbed out of her window just as her door flung open. Max only knew one place to go.
'Stalker' she thought.

"Hello kid" A grown man said as he opened the door. He didn't look much as his son but Max could still see the similarities.
"Hi" Max said. "Is Lucas here?"
"Yes but he's sick" Mr Sinclair said.
"Could I talk to him?" Max asked.
"Shouldn't you be in school?" He asked.
"I guess so." Max said. "Look, can I just talk to him? Something's going on home and I just really need someone to talk to." Max said.
"Okay let me go get him." he said. He moved out of the way so Max could get into the house. "Here you can sit down on the couch" Max sat down.
"Lucas" Lucas's dad said as he opened the door to his room.
"Yes dad?" Lucas asked.
"There's a girl down there. She really wants to talk to you. Something about her family." His dad said.
"Oh no" Lucas said and got up of his bed.
"What's happening?" Mr Sinclair asked. "Who's that girl?"
"Her name is Max. She's my friend" Lucas said as he put on a shirt and started walking downstairs.
"Okay I'll stay here" His dad said suspiciously from upstairs. He walked out to the hall and were surprised to see Max sitting on the couch in the living room.
"Hi Mad Max" Lucas said.
"Hey Stalker" She said back.
"My dad said that you wanted to talk" Lucas said and sat down next to her.
"Yeah" Max said.
"What did they do this time?" Lucas asked.
"They were arguing and then Neil started walking towards my room so I ran away" Max said. "To your house"
"Are you okay?" Lucas asked.
"Yeah I'm fine" Max said. "Just a little tired. From yesterday too"
"Yeah. I think we all are" Lucas said.
"Yeah" Max said. There was an awkward silence for a couple of minutes.
"Have you heard about the Snowball?" Lucas asked.
"Yeah" Max answered.
"Are you going?" Lucas asked.
"I don't think so" Max said.
"Why? We're all going" Lucas said.
"Dances are not really my thing" Max said. "Why did you ask?"
"I was just wondering" Lucas said. He wasn't just wondering. He wanted to take Max to the ball but he didn't know how to ask.
"You know that girl, Eleven?" Max said after a while.
"Yeah?" Lucas asked.
"She doesn't really like me" She said.
"It's not that she doesn't like you, she just don't know you. She'll love you when you get to know each other" Lucas said.
"We'll see about that...and what's going on with her and Mike anyways?" Max gave him that look she always gives when she asks something.
"They like each other. Like, a lot" Lucas said.
"Like they're dating or what?" Max asked.
"I don't know. I think they kissed or something. But there wasn't really time for any dating. And we were only twelve" Lucas said.
"Oh...so they're dating now?" Max asked.
"I don't know. Mike doesn't really talk about his love life" Lucas smiled. "You'll have to ask him"
"He doesn't really like me either" Max said and looked down at her knees.
"He's just been trough a lot. He'll warm up to you" Lucas said.
There was another awkward moment before Lucas asked if she wanted to go up to his room and read comics. She said yes. She went home after about an hour and got yelled at by her brother.
"DONT DO THAT" LISTEN TO ME" "STAY AWAY FROM HIM" was some of the things he shouted at her. She didn't really care. She was to busy thinking about him.
'Stalker' she thought.