Prologue

~Disclaimer: This chapter contains bits of non-vivid violence. You can also choose to skip to the first chapter, but I suggest you don't. :)

~I'm making major alterations to this book. Like, for example, the ethnicity of some characters. I intend on making these changes public once I have everything edited. It's been a few years since I first started writing this story and I realize now that poor 15-year-old me had in mind that light skin tones and straight hair were life's default. I thought it'd be more appealing to write "I run my hair through my hair in frustration" rather than "my fingers get stuck in between my locks". It saddened me a lot once I realized that and I know that many young black girls have that same mindset. Let's change that.

~The following book trailer was made by aflyingwhale (A big thanks to her. I absolutely love this!)

°°°°

A few months ago

"Babe, If you don't bring your ass over here in five seconds I swear I'll–"

"Can you please just listen to me?" My boyfriend breathes, his eyes pleading for mercy.

"You need to let go of this fear, Stephan," I tell him as I continue to walk towards the entrance of my house, leaving him frozen behind.

I am so ready for what I'm about to do, I could just kick the door open like a badass ninja.

"But Kylie–"

"What's so wrong about meeting my family?" I cut him off, stopping in my tracks to face him with narrowed eyes. "It's not a big deal!"

"For you, it isn't," he says, his eyes holding distress. He runs his fingers through his short blonde hair and sighs. "You can't just force me to meet them."

"But I think it's time you meet them, Steph," I pout. Maybe pouting will make him realize how cute I am and maybe that'll change his mind. I have to at least try.

"We've been together for two months." He rolls his eyes, biting back a smile at my terrible attempt to convince him.

I walk towards the tiered fountain of my house, where Stephan is near, and wrap my arms around his waist, pouting even more. "But yesterday you told me you loved me. You weren't lying, were you?"

His eyes flicker and avert mine for a brief second before returning to me. "No. Of course not."

I slowly nod.

Why did he hesitate? We didn't rush things, did we? Did he not believe me when I told him I loved him back?

Well, do I, really?

I get rid of my thoughts and grab him by the arm. "Okay then. Let's go."

"I'm not ready yet, Ky," he whines, lazily pulling me towards him to wrap his arms around my waist. "What if your parents hate me?"

Oh, my parents wouldn't hate him. My brothers on the other hand...

I let my negative thoughts become extinct, applying a persuasive smile on my face. "I have a feeling that they'll like you. Trust me."